How do you feel about this "approach" to getting to Heaven?

I had a boyfriend once, years ago. I asked him if he thought he lived his life how he thought his God would want him to, he replied, "No, but when I'm older, I'll start living my life how I should, so that I get into Heaven.". He claimed the Christian religion. How do you feel about this way of thinking? Can putting off living how you think you should, for selfish reason, be forgiven? It's almost like he only planned on worshiping his God when it would benefit him. As if he planned on just "sucking up" at the last minute.

I'm not trying to be harsh, and I believe in God myself, but I just thought this seemed off.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The problem with that kind of thinking is that no one has a promise of tomorrow. What if you were to get in an accident & killed instantly? Then what? Better to give your life to the Lord & live for Him everyday so you don't have to worry about tomorrow. God knows the motives of our hearts & that's what He judges us on.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Don't believe in Heaven but it sounds like he was using it as a "get out of jail" Free Card. I would rather live my life the best way I know how from the beginning and make wise decisions early on. I don't understand the mentality of "it won't make a difference later on" because in one way or another teh decisions you make NOW will affect you the REST of your life
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• The way to Heaven is only through belief in and submission to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. It can't be attained by one's good behavior or by changing one's ways. The attitude expressed by your friend is pretty common. The main problem with it is that we can't come to Jesus Christ whenever we choose to. We can only come to Him when His Spirit makes Himself available to us. So, by the time your friend thinks he's ready, the Holy Spirit may have already said "Time's up." The other problem with his line of thinking is that we have no guarantee of another day, much less months or years. An auto crash or a heart attack and an individual can find himself standing in front of Almighty God in a twinkling of the eye, giving an account of how he has lived his life. So it is a rather presumptious way to live and a bit foolhardy. The same rules apply to everyone. Nobody is granted special favors, so I would not want to risk it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It sounds like an answer from an immature kid, and he was being honest. However it's not that easy to just change one day. You should live "the way you should" because it means your being a loving, and responsible person who cares about yourself and others. This shouldn't be pushed aside just because your young.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think God forgives you for your sins and he knows your heart. And if you think you can do wrong and at the last minute do right he'll know about that too. I believe if someone keeps doing wrong to you and you forgive them, God will forgive you if you keep doin wrong if you ask for his forgiveness.

mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• @Nanny B I was with you until "we can't come to Jesus Christ whenever we choose to. We can only come to Him when His Spirit makes Himself available to us. " So I was wondering what scripture backs this up? I've never heard this view before.

I'm a Christian and I do believe a lot of people do what the OP said. But its a pretty dangerous way to live considering you don't know when your time of death will come AND you'd be missing out on an abundance of blessings during that time of living your own way.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• From NannyB: We can only come to Him when His Spirit makes Himself available to us. So, by the time your friend thinks he's ready, the Holy Spirit may have already said "Time's up."

This thinking is also twisted. God is love and full of grace. Time up for us is when we take our last breath on this earth.

OP: your old bf's think is also twisted. Sure he can live however he wants but he misses every opportunity to be a witness to another's life and his behavior or lack thereof can send someone to hell. Would he want to be judged for that? Yes we will all be judged but those who enter in are the ones who accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. This is not my words but the words of God.. don't like it.. take it up with Him. He said it :-) He loves all His children and desires that non perish but we also have to make our own choices how to live for Jesus!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• no, thats not how it works. You can only be forgiven if you are truly repentant. If you go into it with the 'I'll just ask forgiveness later and be forgiven" it doesn't work.
    norahsmommy

Answer by norahsmommy at 7:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• well my grandpop's favorite song was one day at a time and it goes "tomorrow may never be mine" so it's no guarentee that you will even get old or even have time to repent before you die. so i think it is a terrible plan lol. but even if he did do this and waited until the last breath to repent (and did it with his whole heart) God will love you just the same imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• it's terrible.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:29 PM on Jul. 30, 2010