my 1 month old seems to want to nurse non-stop, could something be wrong? He's gaining weight accordingly...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She mait not be getting anuff milk...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• nothing is wrong,mine baby girl was like that also,it could be a growth sprut(spelling).try introducing a pacifir if u havent already,its ok to do so after 1month or they astablished good eating habit.sometimes they just like to suck.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I know your frustrated, both my kids constantly wanted to be nursing all the time, and most of the time it felt like they were just sucking not getting any milk!!!!!!! so sometimes I would also bottlefeed then I would think they were eating too much because usually they would get gas pains...good luck with the breast feeding it's a challenge for some but seems easy when proffesionals explain it to you!
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 5:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I was told the reason my 4 mos old is nursing non-stop right now is because I have been feeding her for 10 minutes on each breast each time she wants to nurse and she is only getting fore milk not hind milk. If you have an imbalance of hind milk/fore milk your baby will have:
    *watery, greenish seedy bowel movements *gassiness after feeding *general fussiness and not seeming satisfied at the breast (this is because in fact they're not. . .they're hungry.) To correct an imbalance the easiest thing to do is to only offer the same breast for an extended length of time. I was told to offer one breast for a three hour period and alternate breasts each three hours. Relieve the other breast by hand expression. . .not by pumping, if possible. You should not let your other breast become too hard and painful. If it does, by all means, dig out that pump! Good Luck!
    Hugbuggal

Answer by Hugbuggal at 6:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree wit the pp... let him feed on the one side longer so he gets the rich hind milk that is more fillling and see if that helps.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• NO PACI!!! she is most likely going through a growth spurt. Carry her in a sling and let her nurse on demand..... it will build a good milk supply. She is coming out of the "brand new baby sleep all the time" phase. Growing and learning. Bear down and be patient it will pass before you know it!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Growth spurt. Just keep nursing!
    ericagwen

Answer by ericagwen at 10:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Keep nursing mama! It's more than likely a growth spurt, during which your lo will need that extra intake!!!!! Don't follow any schedules, please, just feed on demand. I KNOW it's tough and you may get soooo tired, but you have to just stick it out!!! It will pass, but it is crucial for the baby to get that milk!!! Plus, your body will accomodate your lo's need for extra, remember: the more you nurse, the more you make!! Oh, I'm with the pp...NO PACI! at least not yet, first make sure the bf is established!!!!! We waited until ds was over 2 months before we gave in....he now only uses it for sleep.
    Anonymous

• read about newborn nursing on kellymom.com its normal!!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2008