Where do I register my son to begin his education public school or early schol or is it pre-kinder?

First Son. New country.I do not know how the education system works to begin in Houston Texas.My son is 2 years old. someone told me that I have to register him with one year of anticipation. Not sure for

dcho

Asked by dcho at 7:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• unless you are looking for a daycare sort of situation, preschool is not until they are 4 years old. then if they have public preschool in tx (i have no idea..... it depends on the state), you call the board of education (look it up in your phone book) and they will tell you what school he will be going to, what paperwork you need to fill out and everything else you need to know. i think the one year in advance thing is for private school. you sign up the summer before they will be attending for public schools.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Preschool is 3-4 yrs old,and 4 yr old kindergarten exists. If you want preschool,those are usually private. 4 yr old kindergarten is public school. You can call your local school district to get their rules for registration.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Call your local school department, or look on their website... they will give you all the info you need!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Find a group on cafemom with moms from Houston in it. And ask this same question.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Call your district offices. They will tell you when and where to register. Some have pre-kinder programs and some will take them as young as three if you are military. But I'm sure a year's notice would be for a private school. I don't think it applies to public schools at all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010