Is my 5 year old suicidle????

Ever since my infant daughter passed away last year my 5 year old cant stop talking about death .....He talks about killing himself , getting a knife to do it, he wants to die so he can go home to God and his sister..... do you think he is suicidle???? Depressed? Angry?? I had him in counseling (without his dad knowing) last year but now we moved out of town and he hasn't been seeing a psych, should I put him back in??? Should I take this serious or should we try to deal with this without help?

tatalalicious

Asked by tatalalicious at 5:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take it very seriously. Time for the doctor to help you out with that.
    Anonymous

• Yes, get help as soon as you can. In the mean time talk with him about what he's feeling and why. To be on the safe side put all sharp objects up and out of his way. Although, I have NEVER hear of a 5yr old committing suicide and I work in the medical field.

I wish you guys the best. I am sorry for your loss and that your little one is having a terrible time dealing.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 5:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yes I would get more help. And if you can tell his father about it. My prayers are with you.
    rosie823

Answer by rosie823 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Absolutely get him back into therapy. Take it VERY seriously. He may have some guilt at that age -- like maybe if he did or didn't do something. Sometimes kids resent the new baby. (By the way, suicide is the 5th leading cause of death in his age group and, yes, I know of kids that young attempting suicide -- I work in mental health.) If you are really concerned when he's talking about actually hurting himself, take him to the emergency room -- do not wait. They might keep him for a couple of days, but the alternative is not acceptable. I also agree with keeping objects that he might use to hurt himself away from him.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• yes get him back into therapy right away
    gitanomadre

Answer by gitanomadre at 10:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Take him back to psych just in case? I think a lot of it is just that he's been impressionable and it's affecting how he's thinking and acting.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 11:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I am sorry for your loss!!!!
    FInd a grief recovery group for kids in your area. Is there a Hospice around? If so they may be able to give you some info on helping kids cope with death. They might also point you to a children's grief recovery group. It would be good for him to be in a group like that because he could hear other children share their stories in child language and it may help him with his confusion about the situation.
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Losing a child, or a sibling is a devastating loss. It's something no one ever gets over, they just go on. I would take him back to a mental health professional because it sounds like he needs it. How about you, girl? Maybe he sees you are sad, and it's just his way of telling you that you're not alone in how you feel. I think it would do you BOTH some good to get some help. Dad too? I'll be thinking of you, and hoping for the best for your family.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• First of all, get your son some professional help. This behavior is highly peculiar for a five-year-old. It could be attributed to him being traumatized by the death of his sibling. Also, talk to him about the meaning of death. if that fails, have him go to church and talk to a priest about it.

In addition, you may want to consider visiting this incredible website called Nogginpower2. I checked out Nogginpower2 myself, and I discovered how helpful this website really is. Some of the readings that you want to look over on Nogginpower2 include Parent/Children Relationships, Better Social Skills, Making New Friends and Getting a Good Night Sleep. These articles can assist you in teaching your child to find healthy ways to cope with the loss of a loved one. I hope this helps. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Yes, you should take him to a doctor now....do not wait. Even in a small child..this is very serious.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2008