A question for Atheists.

I'm just curious, and not insulting ANYONE. Are you open to the idea of God? Do you think that there is any instance in which you would believe, or is it set in stone? Do you think you'll be an atheist for life?

I just ask because I know it's fairly common for people who are religious to one day stop believing and become an Atheist, but I'm curious how common (or rare) it is for an Atheist to start believing in a higher power.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I explored the whole God thing when I was younger, it's actually what lead me to my atheism. It just didn't add up and I had too many questions which were never answered. I'm pretty set that there is no God. I find it a much more logical progression that man invented the idea of god to explain natural phenomena in early times and the idea has "evolved" from there into what it is today. I find it less logical that God created man but only revealed himself in the past 3000 years or so and any religion prior to that was being decieved by a devil that no-one knew existed until said god had man write about it in the last 3000 years.Especially seeing as mankind and beliefs of their "gods" date back to well over 60,000 years. The only way for it to be proven to me would be for said God to make an appearence in which case I'd have to have several witnesses present to the incident or I'd just think I was crazy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't dent the possibility of God, I just don't have any valid reasons to believe in one. My beliefs are always open to change given new evidence.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I came from religion and I have to say that I higly doubt that I will ever be able to believe there are any Gods...
    I just don't feel any need for it at all
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am open to the idea of God for OTHER people. I can totally understand how and why others need to believe in a God. I honestly though, don't ever see myself believing in a God. It's just not how my heart beats. It NEVER did....even while I was growing up in the church. I went to sunday school, VBS, youth group, etc.
    I did it all till I was 18 yrs old. It never, ever rang "true" to me. I knew at such a young age that my spiritual path was different than most....it was only a matter of me growing into it and listening to my heart. (and becoming an adult that could follow her own path instead of her parents)
    I can't imagine my heart EVER lying to me....so I'm sure my path is written in stone, so to speak.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am open to the possibility that there could be some higher intelligence in existence. But I in no way believe that there is an all knowing, all powerful, prayer answering, reward for good/punish for evil, creator god. I just don't see how that is possible. And unless I experience some major brain damage, I don't see how any one or anything could change that point of view for me.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:02 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• More commonly you will find those "atheists" that convert were raised Christian and sincerely believed until something bad happened to them or "God" didn't give them something they wanted and they become angry and decide to "not believe in him" because they are "mad at him" but return to the faith later on. They weren't really atheists, obviously, as if they didn't believe in him they couldn't have been mad at him. They were just angry with themselves or their faith.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have always believed that the ability to believe in a god(s) is something inside the brain. Something is either turned off or on in our brains that makes the idea of the impossible seem plausible. I have heard of people starting to believe or unable to believe after a traumatic brain injury. Honestly, that's the only way I can see me being able to believe in a god(s).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You may not be athiest u might agnostic. Is one who believes that the existence of God is unknown and most likely beyond human ability to discover. Or u could be agnostic atheism. Agnostic athesists are atheistic because they do not have belief in the existence of any deity, and agnostic because they do not claim to know a deity does not exist. My ex husband is agnostic he believes there is a higher power he doesn't believe there is a god. In my knowledge I do believe there is a God but to know if there is really is one or not no one would ever know until they r in front of the Golden Gates that lets u in to heaven.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I used to believe growing up, so I understand the allure of religion and God. I gave it up because the stories just not longer made sense to my logically wired mind. Could I go back? Only if there was some solid verifiable evidence to prove it, but I'd still be skeptical.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I gave the christian god nearly 30 years of my life to get it right, and he failed me, over and over and over again. Sometimes I rage at all those years WASTED in the church. I am confident now that he doesn't exists (or that he is not the all-powerful creature people think him to be). My life has proved to me that I am on my own. So are you, if you took a moment to look at all that has happened to you. And there is not one iota of divine intervention. Atheism is my path. It's how I will cross over to the other side. Not as a godslave, bowing and scraping before an arrogant, bloodthirsty fairy-tale, but as a free spirit...unchained and confident in my choices. And ready to do whatever I must to be my own person.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2010