Here is your new car? Can you afford it? It is estimated that it will take you 19 yrs to regain any money saved on this electric vehicle.

I'll forward the clicky
How many issues does this long range gas conversion/electric vehicle raise?
Oil dependency vs coal usage and supposed green house gases, chinese made batteries, no place to plug in yet, and any more you can think of?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And instead of the sleek coupe of 2007, it looks suspiciously similar to a Toyota Prius. It also requires premium gasoline, seats only four people (the battery runs down the center of the car, preventing a rear bench) and has less head and leg room than the $17,000 Chevrolet Cruze, which is more or less the non-electric version of the Volt.

In short, the Volt appears to be exactly the kind of green-at-all-costs car that some opponents of the bailout feared the government might order G.M. to build. Unfortunately for this theory, G.M. was already committed to the Volt when it entered bankruptcy. And though President Obama’s task force reported in 2009 that the Volt “will likely be too expensive to be commercially successful in the short term,” it didn’t cancel the project.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If I had 40 grand to spend, the new Camaro would be sitting in my drive before the volt.... I am happy driving my 2002...when you only drive 2200 miles a year, energy conservation is not an issue... and ten years from now I still won't have 50k miles on it...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• You can have your electric car, I want to go back to the muscle cars of the 60's .

Now that's when they made real cars & gas was 25 cents a gallon.

If only there was a time machine.  LOL

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I read about the batteries---they are being made in the USA...I think in a new plant in Michigan,

Not yet they just broke ground for the plant with Oblabla there to take all the "glory for that 100 jobs that may actually never amount to much since the demand will be so low.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well I can honestly say, I will never purchase one....couldn't afford the payments, let alone the high insurance rates for full-coverage on a new vehicle. (We're on a fixed income). Couldn't get my family in it anyway....it's too small for 2 adults and 3 nearly grown kids.

I've wondered though....batteries can be recharged but only so many times and then ya gotta replace them....wonder what they'll do with all the old worn out batteries....it's not like their real environmentally friendly things.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Why is everyone still thinking electric when there is also a hydrogen car- it produces steam instead of exhaust.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I read about the batteries---they are being made in the USA...I think in a new plant in Michigan,,,and providing a whole bunch of NEW jobs. What could be so bad about that???
    Someday, after they have it in production ,get the bugs out, and people appreciate it, the price will go down and become more affordable. BUt, will the gas guzzling car companies allow this electric car to become popular? I hope so. I would buy one if they lowered the price.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• YES a Camaro... Because I do my part by not driving around aimlessly all day. In eight years I have only 20k miles on a car, so do the math. My carbon foot print is extremely small. I don't use paper towels and make my own cleaners. I recycle everything and keep a compost bin in my garden where I grow all my own vegetable and herbs, which I can and dehydrate. I use CFL in every lamp in my house and I have energy efficient windows and a top of the line energy efficient furnace and AC unit. I am more green than most "hop on the band wagon" conservationists are and probably more mature... so next time stop hiding behind the anonymous button and be mature enough to reply like a normal person.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Honestly though I like the goal, these types of cars will never last as long as the old fashion ones. They will end up way more expensive, and will not be worth it in the end.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• yes, I used the down vote. and this is me proud and owning it. That was terrible.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010