Joint custody...Visitation...

For those that are divorced, and have "joint" custody, as well as being the "physical" custodian, how often does your ex see the kid(s)? What sort of visitation do you have worked out? What about holidays? School nights or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I have primary physical custody of my kids. They go to their dads every other weekend, and then they spend every other Wednesday afternoon with him. They never stay over on school nights, and holidays are switched back and forth between the two of us (I have Christmas with them on even years, he has them for Christmas on odd years, etc.) He also gets 2 weeks of vacation time with them in the summer.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Mine go to their dads every Monday, Wed, and every other weekend. He takes them to school on the mornings he has them. holidays are alternated
    ckap4707

Answer by ckap4707 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My DH has joint custody with his ex. Although we don't have primary res, I thought I could be of some help. Kind of an expert in this dept. LOL In the beginning, DH had Wednesdays and every other weekend. Then the ex moved and they went to family relations. DH got 1/2 summer in one week intervals, except we get to pick 2 weeks in a row for vacation. Holidays are rotated every year. The holidays are pretty much split so they each get 1/2 of them throughout the year and then get the other ones the next year. We had every other full weekend Friday-Sun and then 1 extra weekend/month Sat after gymnastics- Sunday. Right now we are doing every other weekend Saturday after gymnastics - Sunday 9pm during the school year. As she gets older, we have been more lax, since she does so much gymnastics. But we can go back to the court order if we choose to.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:24 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have had sole custody for 7 yrs. He gets them every other weekend. He has only ever taken them for one night, every other weekend, even though he has Saturday off. He usually picks them up Saturday pm and keeps them till Sunday pm. I could have taken him back to court over that to get more child support, but its not worth it anymore. He looses out by not seeing his kids. His loss, not ours. He gets them for even holidays and I get them for odd. My kids are older now, so we are more flexable about sharing holiday times. He also CAN take them for two weeks in summer, but has only done that once. Its funny cause they fight so hard for all this in court and then they flake out....:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Cont. We don't do school nights anymore because she lives 45minutes away. It has been a rough battle, but we have finally managed to get the ex to back off and stop making our lives miserable. DH and bio mom have been divorced since '02.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We have 50/50. I have our son Sunday evening through Friday afternoon - basically the school week. My ex gets him every weekend. During the summer, although it's not in our divorce agreement, I let my ex take our son for alternating weeks at a time. For holidays we simply alternate. This last year my ex got him for X-mas morning so this year I will have him for X-mas morning. Then later in the day we'll trade so we can both see him. For his b-day we throw a joint party. We basically just do what's best for our son and follow a loose schedule. If my ex needs him for a vacation or whatever during my custody days I allow him to take him and vice versa. I also do not get child support. I requested none. Whatever we do for him at our own houses we pay for. My husband and I maintain health insurance for him since it's through my hubbies employer.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:55 PM on Jul. 30, 2010