For those of you with lupus, how do you cope with the lack of energy?

TipToe19

Asked by TipToe19 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Health

• I have sjogrens syndrome which is a disease related to lupus and also causes fatigue. I take a nap everyday - without it I could not function! My house also isn't as neat/picked up as I would like it to be, but I do what I can when I can. I have learned not to stress over the little things. I'm a stay at home mom, and I would love to work but I wouldn't have the energy to get through a full work day and get anything done at home.

Answer by missanc at 8:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Live on a schedule. I never WANT to do anything, but if we have a schedule I can make myself get the work done because I feel like it's my job...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've got SLE and RA ~ the biggest downside is on the days when I'm not particularly tired, I'm just as likely to ache so much that getting much of anything done is difficult. I'm not on any meds (allergic to the NSAIDS in general) and that doesn't help either.

My boys are grown and out on their own now, and my DH is truly good about my down days. In some ways life is easier now, but in others it is harder. I have far more animals now than I ever had kids, and they need to be fed, watered, and cared for regardless of how I feel. I've got a large garden, and we're building a home.

You do what you can and learn to set priorities. For me, it also helps to stay (always) slightly angry at the diseases. Being angry at them keeps me focused on keeping MY life rather than letting them rob me of it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I've not been diagnosed, but my doctor suspects that I have lupus due to the lack of energy, aches, and butterfly rash on my face. This is difficult for me because I have so much going on with school, caring for and home schooling my DD, and taking care of the home. On the weekends I can sleep all day and still be drained, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to combat this lack of energy. I'll find out Wednesday if it really is lupus, but either way I need some relief.
    TipToe19

Comment by TipToe19 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• i hope you get good news :) my mom was diagnosed and just recently told me about it.
    tayseansmom7505

Answer by tayseansmom7505 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010