Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

do you know why my smoke alarm would go off in the middle of the night for no reason?

its got new batteries, I got up and checked around and everything was fine. by the tim I could find the stepladder to go up and turn it off it stopped by itself about 5 min later. Besides freaking me out big time, I could never get back to sleep and a tired mommy is a cranky mommy.

Answer Question
 
luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 9:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 25 (25,014 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • mine goes off if its humid out
    butterflyblue19

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • go off or just beep every 90 secs? low battery??
    surfcitymom

    Answer by surfcitymom at 9:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Does it have a CarbonMonoxide detector in it too? Or is it just smoke? I would say if it's CarboMonoxide, you should get things checked out... But if it's just smoke, it may be time to get a new one.
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Possibly a lose wire.
    lovinangels

    Answer by lovinangels at 9:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Does it have a CarbonMonoxide detector in it too? Or is it just smoke? I would say if it's CarboMonoxide, you should get things checked out... But if it's just smoke, it may be time to get a new one.
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Sorry, my computer flipped out and you got my answer twice! Sorry!
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • it went off worth a loud piercing scream, not the little chirps with low battery. it is fairly new, under 3 mos old and it wasn't humid, I live in Seattle but it was really foggy and I might have had some windows open.
    luvschocolate

    Comment by luvschocolate (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Dust? I know I have to use canned air on mine from time to time because it will go off for no reason.
    liss05

    Answer by liss05 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • Could be dust or a low battery. Is it the type that is hardwired? If it is, it could be from a brief outage.
    cafeclubmom

    Answer by cafeclubmom at 10:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • you need to call a local firedept to check out for you. If you might a new one!!
    malina30

    Answer by malina30 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.