Tax return with no income

How does a person receive a HUGE income return with no income?

Ive seen several people state how they know some people who dont work and receive huge tax returns. I would like to know how this is even possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I really dont know!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Lord somebody find out and let me know.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It is NOT possible. They are telling stories. The average IQ of posters here is nothing to write home about, obviously.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If you do not file d/t lack of an income, how would you get $$$$ back? You'd definitely have to file, indicating some earnings in order to to receive a refund.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Welfare and PA recipients do have taxes withheld from their checks. They then file for that portion that was withheld. Weird - huh!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• What Jesse said, in addition to the child tax credit = refund!!! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Exaggeration. If you have zero income at all you get nothing back. If you have an actual income from school grants, disability, court settlement, etc, there are still tax breaks you qualify for and taxes that are "paid" (meaning if the total exceeded the bottom bracket you would be expected to pay in, but if it doesn't you keep what would've been deducted). Anything you sell on Ebay is declarable income.

What's really happening is these people they're gossiping about really do have an income, or they aren't getting back as much a they're pretending.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If you read the answers routinely on CM 11 months out of the year 90% of all the women are broke and complaining about the cost of living in certain sections,or being broke, and needing a stay at home job. And then miraculously in April they start getting $5-$6K dollar returns back.

I believe very little I read on CM,especially when the profile shows a twenty something mom or younger.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Actually it is possible to get something back with no income (I'm pretty sure). I think you can still get the child tax credit, which is fully refundable (meaning that it doesn't depend on the income or taxes paid in).

To get the Earned Income Credit you do have to have an income. Even if your income is so low that you don't have a tax liability, if you have dependent children you can get a big refund. The idea is that people will use that money wisely, but of course not everyone does.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I'm sure they don't actually mean zero dollars. I think they mean little income.

Like I know a young couple who made a little more than twenty grand and got a tax return slightly less than 10 grand. When I explained to him that he could have had, for free, slightly more than 800 a month more to live on, he was dumbfounded.

Here he paid H and R block $700 in fees to get his tax return the next day. He could have kept his money, Efiled for free, and had direct deposit in about two weeks.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010