My 6 month old girl caught a stomach bug. She has thrown up several times tonight and has a little diarrhea. She is a breastfed baby and we just started introducing solids. She had her first taste of sweet potatoes today! I'm not sure what to...do we keep feeding her solids through her vomitting? Do we hold off and strictly give her breastmilk until she feels better? What about pedialyte? When do we know she needs it and how much do we give her?

KenzieQsMommy

Asked by KenzieQsMommy at 9:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stop the solids until she is feeling better. i would just nurse her when she wants it..... my kids all hated pedialyte. hope she feels better soon!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• well, i honestly don't know much about such things ...
    but i would probably try just breastfeeding and waiting on the solids.

...of course, i really dont know.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• breastfeed only, if she shows signs of dehydration take her to the doctor
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree to stop the solids. Maybe get pediaylte. My kids love it when they are sick. I'd probably also call your doctor and see what they say since none of us are doctors. I hope she feels better soon!
    ilovemykids323

Answer by ilovemykids323 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks! Called her ped 2 days ago because I'm a nanny and the kids I watch have the same thing. They said there's nothing we can unless she has a fever and to give pedialyte. I just know nothing about the details of giving that stuff. Mix it? Give it straight? How much? I just want my baby to feel better! :(
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• try the pedialyteand stop the solid food. dr in the morning if she is not better. Try not to feek out and go to the ER tonight like i did with my 1st run with this.

Phianabismoma

Answer by Phianabismoma at 9:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Just nurse for now. If she's nursing well, you probably don't even need pedialyte.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• my daughter had a stomach virus at around that age her doctor said nothing but breast milk and pedialyte for 24 hours
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• stop the solids, give some pedialyte, like an ounce between feedings, if she'll take a bottle. i wouldn't take her to the doc just yet, nothing they can do, it sounds like it's just a virus. all they'll tell you is to do what i just said and probly give her some tylonal if there's a fever and for pain, as needed.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• you don't have to water down pedialyte, just give it to her straight.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010