church?

i have a just turned 4month old,,we have never been apart for more then 15 minutes and she is breastfeed,,,will and is church a good idea right now?i think it will help both of us,,her to see new people and me to get over seperation anxity(spelling).they said if they have a problam they will come and get me.our friends next door are taking us.my huspand will be at work.im nervous...lol..hopefuly they wont drop my baby.

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 5:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think this is a perfect oppertunity for your child to get use to other people... just make sure that they have some kind of identification system in place to match the right child with the right parent... I know some churches use wristbands like from the carnival... the band goes on the child and the parent gets the stub at the end with their childs band number... They use this number to notify parents if they need to check on their child by showing it on the visual screen. Plan to get there early and spend some time getting him settled....If your really unsure how about going once and staying in the nursery with him.. you won't get to the service but you will know how you feel afterwards... maybe they have a Family Room where you can stay with your child but also hear or see the service..... I think its a great oppertunity as long as they have a policy and screen w/background checks those they allow to watch the children.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 8:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• We go to church, but never have or had put our children in the childcare there.... Not because we don't trust them, but for us that's not what church is about.

Perhaps going out to dinner or a movie with hubby might be good and you can leave the baby with your Mom for a couple of hours.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i just want her to see other kids as well,we live so far out in the country we dont see anyone.im thinking about sitting down in there child care with her a few times to see how to reacts to the people that will be with her.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I began to put my boys into the nursery when they were around 4 or 5 months old. Old enough to go the length of the service without needing to be fed. I really think it helped with the whole separation thing because I never had an issue with them leaving me. And it already gets them used to social situations. BUT, please be safe. An effective nursery should have trained workers ~ ones that have had background checks done. And perhaps a number system (depending on the size of church), where you are assigned a number that goes on the baby's bag or clothes along with a tag or "key" that you keep with you. You turn in your key to pick up your baby. That ensures no one can randomly get her without you.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I see it this way, can you effectively worship and enjoy the service if you are constantly tending to your baby? And...so often kids disrupt others as well. A nursery isn't just a babysitting service (or shouldn't be). Ours teaches lessons and has a mini-church for the kids whether baby or toddler.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• just my opinion/preference: i keep my daughter with me, but sit near the back so we can leave when she needs to eat or is fussy. but she's only 2 months. i know it's hard to leave!!! but she likes worship a lot. also, it'd be more distracting for me to be worried about her in the nursery. so maybe have her with you a few times, then put her in the nursery.
    ariel08

Answer by ariel08 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008