How can I ease the stress of moving into a new place with my 2 Year old?

My husband and I are moving into a new home in a little more than a week. Any tips on how not to make it scary or stressful for our toddler?

Misteh

Asked by Misteh at 9:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i've moved twice with my 3yr old son..he was never stressed...didn't really care really. we just recently moved, the first time with dd, and she could've cared less as well. she just turned 2 on Tuesday...sorry i'm no help, but maybe it won't be as bad as you think it will be...but if you make it stressful for her then it will be. so don't make it stressful for her.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• shouldn't be too big of a deal-
    we have moved COUNTLESS times and I don't remember it being a big deal wehn they were that little
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Set up his room the same way his old room was set up. Talk to him about how much fun you will having in the NEW House. Tell him it is a family fun adventure you are going to be on.

I have moved many times with my kids (due to DH's jobs) and my kids like seeing new places and making new friends.

Good luck and enjoy. Things will be OK. Really.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 10:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• it will only be a big deal if you make it out to be a big deal.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• my son loved moving. It was like an adventure for him. I asked him where he wanted his bed to go, etc. so he felt like he had a say in how his room would look. Also, all of the boxes in his room were unpacked very quickly.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:21 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We moved when my daughter was about 20 months and again right before she turned 3. She wasn't stressed either time. She was excited for the last move.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• we recently moved and my son kept sayin," Oh, no Mom My bed!" With a cute confused faced. I just kept reassuring him that it was ok we were just moving it to a bigger room. At our new place, I set it exactly how it was.
    snuggz

Answer by snuggz at 3:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2010