My daughter has a boob preference!!!

i am havin the biggest problem with breast feeding, but just on the right side. the left side lets down really fast and she like that. on the right side, she actually has to work at it and gets all fustrated and cries. i no theres milk there, cuz i pump too, its just slower on that side. now im getting all lopped sided and funny lookin, how do i fix this problem?

smzuzu

Asked by smzuzu at 5:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• haha aww im sorry....

have her start with the frustrating boob first....

then switch, if your anything like me, when my son starts on one side and the other side leaks out on its own...

hopefully that will even you out! OR pump the difficult boob while she feeds
    and give her the excess by bottle
    Anonymous

• I am having the same problem, hopefully someone has an idea...
    jiara1

Answer by jiara1 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Omg I had the exact same problem 10 yrs ago. So now one boob is way bigger than the other. I also had the same problem with my 18 months old just last year. She did not like my left one so I would make sure to feed her on the left one first and the switch her to the right. She will fuss and cry but make sure to do it or you will end up with a permanent lop-sided boob.. : )
    Anonymous

• Can you just feed her on that side and pump on the other? I don't know sorry....just thinking of ideas :-)
    Anonymous

• i had that still kind of do put its getting up there.trick her lay on ur left side or witch ever one she likes let her suck on it for a few seconds then lean in and put ur other boob(sorry) there.its kind of uncomfortable for us but it works for me.i also sqeeze my smaller one as she sucks.dont keep sqeezing just hold it.use ur smaller one for night feeding shell be tierd to notice.i had slow flow too now its just as fast.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• wow this happened to me too...i actually went to the Doc and they said it's normal for a baby to prefer one side over the other. My boobes are also permanently lopsided. It got to the point where I just stopped breast feeding and used formula. They are better now. I plan on getting a boob job in a couple of years. You would be surprised to know that even though breast milk is better for babies, most doctors tell their patients with lop sided boobs to formula feed. If you aren't happy then your baby won't be happy
    Anonymous

• always start ant the side she likes let her go to town for about 1-10 min. then switch. Always pump the least favorite breast after feeding and in between if you have the time. My daughter did the same thing loved the right. The left got to where it just didn't produce as much but she eventually got over the preference thing just make sure both side are ready when she does. You always ave the option of consulting the La Lecha League. Most areas have one and they are very helpful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I meant 5-10 sorry ...any way the point is to take the edge off the hunger then switch it to the slower side.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My LO likes my right over the left! He's 14 mos now and he's gotten better at switching off! :D I always started him on the breast he didn't like when he was smaller, it did help with the lopsidedness! Eventually he took to the left and now he nurses well on both. Good luck.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'm sorry! My son did the same thing... He liked the right better than the left, and now that I'm through bf'ing, my right side is bigger than the left (but don't get me wrong, both are tiny! lol). I always tried to get him to nurse off of the left side first, because I knew he was more likely to work for it when he was really hungry. A lot of times, though, that would just make him mad. I'm not one to let him cry for any reason (he's spoiled), so I would usually just switch right over to the side he liked. I didn't pump a lot, so eventually my milk supply on the unfavorable side decreased. Just be sure that you continue to pump off of the "frustrating" side when he doesn't nurse off of it very well, and GOOD LUCK!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 7:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2008