Budgeting = AAAHHH!!!

Ok, ladies. I needs a plan. A SUPER GOOD PLAN.

We're moving to a new place next month and the deposit, pro-rated rent, next month's rent (its due about a week after the deposit and pro-rated rent is due), start-up fees for the utilities, etc. is adding up to more than we can afford on such sort notice (i.e. we're young and our savings is less than admirable) .

I need a good budget outline, website, or miracle advice so that we can save all of the money we need.

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 11:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• i will be waiting for this answer! :)
    the only thing that i do is make a list for when everything is due and go down the list but im horrible at budgets
    tayseansmom7505

Answer by tayseansmom7505 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I can tell you how we manage our funds, maybe it will help. I picked up one of those cheap 2 year planners at the dollar store (they are about the size of a checkbook) and I write in it every month of what is due and when it is due. As it gets paid, it gets crossed off. It has really helped us in making sure what needed to be done gets done and it also lets us know what extra money we have. I hope this helps.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:08 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• tayseansmom7505, you can bump me so that it'll be higher on the list though ^_^ maybe we'll both get answers
    Deathlilly

Comment by Deathlilly (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We use the Dave Ramsey budget (See DaveRamsey.com or the Dave Ramsey Fans group on cafemom). We write down- before my husband gets paid, everything that we'd like to spend money on that month including how much we'd like to spend. Within reason of course. We start with necessities, food, rent, utilities, fuel, insurance things like that. Then when my husband gets paid we know exactly where every dollar is going so we don't blow it.

We also use Dave Ramsey's envelope system. Just a regular envelope with a name on it. Say groceries for example. We go to the bank and take out "x' amount for groceries and put it in the groceries envelope. When the money is gone, it's gone and we're done grocery shopping.

We do that for anything you'd pay for in person- so clothes, entertainment, eating out etc all go into individual envelopes. We don't borrow money from other envelopes- otherwise we'll be short somewhere.

Continue:
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We also have a miscellaneous envelope- because you truly can't plan for everything. Not every month at least. If we need to- we change the budget mid-month. We just agree on it before hand.

Anyway I would check out his website, and the group on cafemom. I bet they can help you find some extra room in your budget :)
    You could also have a garage sale or two to help you pay the deposit...

GOOD LUCK :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree with daveramsey.com website. You can listen to the radio calls on there too. Go to library and check out book Total Money Make over by Dave Ramsey.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I add up all my set monthly bills: rent, car payment, insurance, phone bill, utilities... anything that DEFINATLY HAS TO BE PAID everymonth. I then divide this number in 4 (weeks) and I pull that amount out automatically at each pay check. Then I figure in gas, diapers, food and anything extra. If anything is left after all things NEEDED are paid for, I sock it into savings. I also used to "pay myself first" and sock 20-50 back each check before anything else, but.. I can't afford that anymore, so I save what I can, when I can.
    Hope this helps at least a little. It keeps me in line :) (and months that have 5 weeks, I still pull my bill money out, and its all gravy for my savings account.)
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 4:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Budgeting is something that you start before you commit to a new home, so you know exactly how much you can afford. At this point, it soundsd like you need to focus on cutting expenses.
    Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry).

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2010