Yogurt?!?

Has anyone else made homemade yogurt? I am just learning and making my "First" batch today. So excited and can't wait to try it. . . Anyone else do this?

Kirs

Asked by Kirs at 11:10 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• yes, it came out pretty good. it's also easy to make homemade ricotta. that's good too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• it's easy.....
    1 gallon whole milk
    1 quart buttermilk

put them in a pot over medium high heat. make sure to scrape the bottom so nothing gets burned lol. when the milk gets hot you'll see some curds float up to the top, and eventually the curds will seperate from the whey. basically it will be alot of white globs on top and the rest of the liquid doesn't look like milk anymore, it looks watery. then you put like 5 or 6 layers of cheesecloth in a sieve over a bowl. use a slotted spoon to gently take the curds from the pot into the cheesecloth. when you have them all out, pull up on all the sides of the cheesecloth and tie a loose knot. don't push down on them or anything and just let it sit for 15 min.or 1/2 hour. then after all of the moisture is done draining you put it in the fridge or eat it lol. it's really easy and turns out good for me anyway lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• yep I make yogurt no butter milk for us~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• hope it turms out good never tried to mke it befor
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I do make our own every now and then. I think the next time I'm going to try it in the crock pot or oven. I've heard of it being done that way.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• OH!!!! That sounds good too!!! how do you do that? :)
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yum! I am making my yogurt with organic whole milk! I am so excited~ I can't wait!!! I am going to have to try the recipe of yours princessbeth79! That sounds good too! This is so cool. . .
    * I do a lot of canning and preserves and all but never attempted this before until now. . .
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• So I am absolutely in love with making my own yogurt!!! I am on my second batch today and loving it !!!!
    Kirs

Comment by Kirs (original poster) at 2:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2010