Do you think it's worth having a birth plan?

From you're experiences do you think its is worth whils, as I have had birth plans but never managed to follow through.

kat878

Asked by kat878 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a birth plan or protical but the doctor was not available, so another doctor just did things her way. My daughter is very healthy and I had a good doctor anyways.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I didn't have one but it wouldn't have mattered bc I ended up having a c-section.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It's worth it if you have a doula so your doula knows what you want.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It depends on your practitioner and your hospital.

I had a birth plan that my midwife (CNM) didn't pay any attention to. She said she agreed with everything in it, but when it came down to following it she did whatever the hell she wanted and my wishes be damned. But the nurse I had at the hospital had read it and followed it as closely as she could. She was great.

This time I have a birth plan again, but am having a home birth, so things are much more in MY court and in MY control. I have a very VERY respectful midwife (CPM) and my birth team is well prepared to follow my wishes as much as possible.

It's worth it if your doctor/midwife is respectful of it and you have a good facility who will also respect it. If not then get a new doctor and hospital lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I had a birth plan and it didn't happen that way at all..
    juggalettetina

Answer by juggalettetina at 11:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• What do you want from your birth experience?

Generally, I think listing your preferences is really helpful, for you more than anything. But also for others.

I would make one!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:53 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think you should have one. It depends on your doctor and the hospital. The hospital I was at had some policies that didn't go along with what I wanted. Other than that, the doctor and nurses tried to do what I wanted. It still didn't turn out as I wanted, as I had to have a c-section. I would form your birth plan and talk it over with your doctor before hand. Mine was very forward with me and told me what they couldn't do because of hospital policies.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Montanagal, hospital policy is not law. For future reference (and for anyone else in this question) just because the hospital has a rule doesn't mean you HAVE to follow it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Certainly! I had a birth plan and I made about 5 copies. I gave one to my midwife and she made sure the hospital got a copy as well. My husband kept a copy on him and 2 copies remained in ym purse. My midwife explained that not all of the nurses on the floor would even read my birth plan which included not to ask me if a wanted the epidural and to help me avoid getting cut ot tearing. I got lucky though not only did the nurse read my birth plan but everything went exactly as I wanted it to go. My midwives kept the copy in my file so all three of them could reference it had they been the one on call when I showed up at the hospital.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Its worth it should everything go just howyou want it to, but know that what you want to happen is almost 100% not going to happen. Some women want their plan stuck to to a TEE even if there's an emergency, and get very upset at staff when it can't be followed. Personally, I just want everything to be safe and smooth...that's it!
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 12:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010