When do they start telling you they have to go instead of you having to constantly take them to the potty?

He turned 2 in April. And we've been doing it for like a week and he's doing pretty good if I just take him every 30 minutes.

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my ds is going was just turning 3 when he started telling me, he's only a few months older and now he tells me most of the time, the times he doesn't is when he's too busy playing and doesn't want to stop. i started training him at 2 1/2

Answer by armywife43 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• imo if you're the one taking them to the potty they're not the ones being trained... you are lol. i wait until they are able to do it themselves and know when they need to go potty beforehand. that's when they can start for me

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• So for 6 months did you just take him constantly? I'm not sure I can handle that long! I would wait but he's so stubborn and easy going at the same time that I think he'd be like 5 before he really cared! Plus I'm super broke and diapers are expensive!

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Mine didn't want anything to do with the potty until a few weeks before he turned 3. He just turned three last month. He's now going to the bathroom by himself most of the time, and I just have to remind him every now and then because he'll be playing and forgets. I felt the same way, that he wasn't going to care until he was in school, lol. Maybe you should just wait on it until he a little older and see if he wants to tell you then?

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2010