When do they start telling you they have to go instead of you having to constantly take them to the potty?

He turned 2 in April. And we've been doing it for like a week and he's doing pretty good if I just take him every 30 minutes.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my ds is going was just turning 3 when he started telling me, he's only a few months older and now he tells me most of the time, the times he doesn't is when he's too busy playing and doesn't want to stop. i started training him at 2 1/2
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• imo if you're the one taking them to the potty they're not the ones being trained... you are lol. i wait until they are able to do it themselves and know when they need to go potty beforehand. that's when they can start for me
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• So for 6 months did you just take him constantly? I'm not sure I can handle that long! I would wait but he's so stubborn and easy going at the same time that I think he'd be like 5 before he really cared! Plus I'm super broke and diapers are expensive!
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Mine didn't want anything to do with the potty until a few weeks before he turned 3. He just turned three last month. He's now going to the bathroom by himself most of the time, and I just have to remind him every now and then because he'll be playing and forgets. I felt the same way, that he wasn't going to care until he was in school, lol. Maybe you should just wait on it until he a little older and see if he wants to tell you then?
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2010