SAHM Working Mom's Question

Okay, I've been a SAHM for the last 12 years and our youngest dd is going to kinder this year. My dh came up to me and asked if I would like to try and have another baby, I am all for it! I can't wait we started trying this month, stupid AF will be here soon, but it's back to trying after that.
I realized that I am going to be 34 or 35 when I start to work. Once the little one is in school and doing well, it'll be my turn.
For those of you that have done this, or are going to be soon, where do you start? How did you figure out what you wanted to do after there was no more diapers, Dora, and daily chores to be done?
I know it is a while away for me, but I was just wondering.

marriedmomto5

Asked by marriedmomto5 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go to graduate school to start a new career.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Look online for careers and info about them..something with click and than go for it
    juggalettetina

Answer by juggalettetina at 11:46 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I chose to work from home...I've made great money, and I have all the time in the world for my family!! But, if that's not something you're wanting to do....think of what makes you happy, or what you know you can succeed at. Just the fact that you're a mother makes all the difference in the world (no matter what you do for work, your babies will love and appreciate you.) You may like to try something like US Career Institute if you're not sure where to start. Great courses all from home, at your own pace, and very affordable. Whichever path you choose to go...I wish you the best of luck. ** If you see someone without a smile...give'em yours :-)

www.scentsy.com/my2scents
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 1:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 17 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Honestly, 12-18 is when your kids really need you around, so you may want to alter your plans a bit.

Stay at home moms have tons of skills that employers value: time management, logistics, finance and budgeting, etc.

Keep in regular contact with former coworkers, perhaps do volunteer work related to your former profession; go back to school and learn new skills, while your kids are in schoo.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree with mommy2joeynabby above ... the kids will need you more when they're older than they do now. Keep that in mind.

I quit my full-time job and went back to school when my oldest started kindergarten (that was 12 years ago). I established a business shortly before I left full-time employment and I currently work from home, and I do consulting on a pick-and-choose basis. I also volunteer at the kids' schools and am on the PTA and several committees and various organizations. Keep busy, stay involved in the community, and keep an open mind ... you'll eventually know which direction you'd like to pursue.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I went back to work when my son was in K and daughter in preK. Bad mistake, I ended up quitting after 4 1/2 years and lost a lot of important time with them. FootballMom85 is correct, the kids actually need you more when they start school than when they are babies. I started a home business while working FT and then left and have never looked back. I know many on my team that have had babies while doing their business and their paycheck continued to increase while taking time off to spend with their newborns.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 12:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010