What's your opinion about subsized trips for teens?

Example: A teenager is going with their school on a trip to Europe and asks every family member or friend to make a donation for the trip. This is not a humanitarian effort, just a trip to Europe. Do you think it's tacky for the teen to ask for money?

comfycouch

Asked by comfycouch at 11:31 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I personally think it is very tacky.

if the teen wants to go, the teen should get a job.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think its tacky even when its those weeklong mission (vacation) trips. Rather than raising $2k for a teenager to go play with babies in Haiti, how about raising $2k and sending to missionary ran organizations already there in haiti to purchase food. It could feed so many people and be so much more useful that a cute little suburban teen getting to hold cute needy babies and taking side excursions to the beach for a week.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't think that is right. They should ask if there is anything they can do for the relatives, and then be paid for it.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 11:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• not at all, but in HS some students went on overseas trips and they held funtions to raise money like bake sale or car wash and if they were short they put donation jars in local businesses. i see it as a educational opportunity and also a way for some kids to travel when they cant otherwise cause their family is poor.
    i never went on these trips cause they werent my thing but i donated $ to my class mates so they could go
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2010