What if a church group is asking for money to subsize a trip to an underdeveloped country?

The reason for going is to bring spritual encouragement and practical help to the people of the country. Also, let's asssume that the people going on the trip can afford to pay for their own tickets.

Is it okay to solicit money for this or do you think it's tacky?

comfycouch

Asked by comfycouch at 11:35 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think if the church members want to donate, sure let them, send out an extra collection plate.

But to ask random family, friends or strangers, nope I don't agree, especially if they can afford to go without donations. Why should others pay for their trip?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Ummm......isn't that the mission of most churches? Don't most churches have collections at various times for missionary work?
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:43 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• it sounds like a mission trip and it would be normal to have a fundraiser or special offering to put money towards it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I went on 2 overseas mission trips as a teenager. I was however the only teenager that went. The adults paid for their own way and I either had to get donations from church members or do a fundraiser. I never asked anyone for money. It was put in the bulletin that we were going. For on trip, someone generously donated enough money to pay for half of the adult tickets and all of mine.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't see any reason why they should not ask. This is how missions trips get funded. Nobody is required to donate.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Sponsoring someone is great! It enables them to be able to do what they are called to do. We have missions in our church and each person that goes raises the money to go! Many put own money in but need help with the rest! I have sponsored two people , one went to Israel and the other to Haiti!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I believe, as with any other group, religious organizations need to be able to ask for extra when they are doing extra good or when they are in extra need. They aren't requiring that anyone give, nor are they trying to hide where it's going. If you believe in their reason for making the trip you have the option to give... If they are doing good, even if they are doing it with a religious twist, then I don't see how extra donations could be a bad thing. And maybe not everyone who can give their time and energy to do on this trip can afford their ticket. It may be easier for those who have the extra money to give donations of cash over time and those who have the time to donate that over money... In the end all that matters is that they are doing good in the world, not the money that goes in to the project.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• @Dark - why is asking family to support your mission any different then asking them to support your baseball Bull Roast or girl scout ticket sales? They have a choice. They are not being forced to donate to the cause, they are free to say no. But I would be offend at not being asked and being given the option to decide for myself whether I want to support this cause.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• this comes up in a lot of churches or any organization that does humanitarian work. yes, donations are good, and expected. but i actually do get annoyed with sending kids out to 'beg' for donations. i'm sorry, but if you can afford to go on a trip like this, great! but if you can't, and the church knows you'll need extra funds, i find it appalling to 'ok' the begging.
    BTW, i feel the same towards any group that comes around asking for donations for something..be it a mission-type trip, new uniforms for the ballteam, or so they can have a big party at the end of the year! call me stingy (i'm not, but go ahead), but what business do they have to send adults/kids out to ask strangers for money, or worse, stop traffic at a busy street-corner to pay for the team to 'go to nationals'???
    all in all, if people WANT to donate, they will. and as with anyone else, they need to budget themselves accordingly.
    JMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Assuming this is a Christian Church - because this is one of the only religions that is trying to propogate their beliefs...
    And assuming, as you said, they can afford their own tickets, then the right thing for them to do is pay for their own trip. All the folks going should sit down and see what THEY can collectively afford. If they come short after tapping their own resources, they can ask whoever they wish to subsidize the rest. ****Having said that, it's called a 501c3 and being a religious organization and the rules say you can do it, and there are tax advantages, so they do. So....was your question moral or legal? Lol....
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 31, 2010