Do you find the name of this business offensive? Is it racist?

White Dog Clothing Exchange. It was named after the Bichon Frise of the previous owner and a dog is featured on the signs and in the logo.

Why? I'm the new owner. I had a lady call me and demand I change the name. She said it was offensive and I was a racist. According to her WHITE men used DOGS to track down runaway slaves and today DOGS are still being used by WHITE men to catch escaped convicts. She said the term was well known in the south and once again demanded I change the name.

I am from the south and have never heard of such a thing. The name was approved by the state when the license was applied for.

Anyhoo, the lady was very rude and was yelling at me. Honestly, I am just dumbfounded.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That is seriously the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. She is taking each individual word, and linking it to something completely unrelated! I swear if you just named your store "THE" someone would find it offensive. I wouldn't care in the least bit what this woman says about the name. You named it what you did based on an actual breed of dog, it was approved by the state, and so far you have only had 1 complaint. It'd be different if you had someone new calling every day or something...or even if she had a legitimate reason for saying its a racist name, but its not. You will never be able to please everyone in this world, especially those that are LOOKING to be offended. Chalk it up to 1 person who won't be a customer and move on. If she continues to harass you and your employees, see how offended she gets when she's smacked with a restraining order.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• she sounds like a nutjob and i would ignore her
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I don't find it to be racist at all.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• that woman is ridiculous!

If she doesn't like your shop name, she doesn't have to come there! DUH!

if the name was approved for the license then don't worry about it!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Think she goes through the phone book?? LOL...cant you just see it...Crazy lady and her phone book!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yourspecialkid, is there any way you can find out who is calling? If she calls again, I would call the police and press charges for harassment against her.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I would tell her to stop trying to pick a fight and trying to read into a sign too much and making stuff up
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I think she is batt s**t crazy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I LIKE THAT NAME ! THAT LADY NEEDS TO SHUT HER MOUTH And IF SHE KEEPS IT UP I WOULD KICK HER ASS ! IF THAT STATE SAID IT IS FINE THEN SHE CANT DO A DAM THANG ABOUT IT ! NEXT TIME SHE CALLS TELL HER TO SHUT THE HELL UP ! U GO GIRL !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 11:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• She's a wacko and I'm sorry you had to deal with her.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 11:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010