Potty Training...where to start

My son is 20 months old, and he's HOH so everything with him is more of a challenge. He's been telling us for about a month now when he goes in his diaper by either pulling on it, or taking it off shorts and all. How should i go about starting the potty training?

juggalettetina

Asked by juggalettetina at 11:41 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• definitely wait then until he's older and showing you that he wants to potty train.
    my son is not HOH but I just waited until he said I'm a big boy! no more pull ups! and that was that! Easiest thing in the world! He was a month or so past 3 years old.
    He needs to be able to tell you BEFORE he goes, not just that he's uncomfortable afterward, though it is great that he recognizes that he went!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We took my nephews to pick their potty and we only used the kind that fit on the toilet. With my DD I am finding it more difficult. She got to pick hers too, then we changed diapers in the bathroom, she sat on it to check it out with her clothes on, her diaper on, than naked. She is very in to detail. She knows but is just now getting actually interested. She is 22 months now and we started just less than 2 months ago. I was lax with her untill she the time she yelled pee while taking a bath so I put her on the toliet right away. The more interactive you make it, and explain, the better kids are to follow and talk to you or tell you. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• lol, we always start the kids when they reconize, some kids are less talkative so go for it!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son had hearing problems about the time we started to try to potty train. I waited until he was 30 months to really push hard. But I did put him in pull ups at 20months during the day and we bought a potty seat for the spare bathroom. My son was undressing too when he got wet could not stand being messy. Watch for signals like grunting or doing the potty dance. Take him to the bathroom and help him get on the potty seat or chair. When they can't hear well actions speak louder than words. Our son seemed to take longer to get the hang of things overall but was potty trained by 3. Oh, and if this is your first and you come from a family of all girls like I did. when he gets to the point he is standing to pee, throw some chereio's in the potty to aim at.... LOL sounds gross but boys love it. And you will love not having to clean the floor and walls ect...
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 11:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks everyone..
    juggalettetina

Comment by juggalettetina (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Don't wait. The longer you wait, the harder it will generally be. I don't know why the us culture tells us all to potty children so late. It makes it more difficult than it needs to be. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010