i have a two month old who is constipated

what should i do ive tried karo syrup and ive been drinking apple juice since i formula feed and breast feed

lilbunny

Asked by lilbunny at 5:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• warm baths,i dont think i ever had that problem.is ur baby cring in pain.or just hasnt pooped in a while?rub his belly.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my son was 3 months and i gave him apple juice. he didnt like it so i put some apple food in some baby cereal. that didnt help so i gave him 1/2 of an infant supository and not even 30 seconds later he had a big bm. the doctor said not to worry unless it has been 3+ days of no pooping. you dont want to use the supository too much so he still wasnt going on his own. I gave milk of magnesia and only once. ever since he has been fine and only goes once every other day. the doctor said that is fine.
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 5:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Constipated because of HARD stool or just doesn't go often? A baby can go several days without pooping. Mine is 11 weeks and only goes every 4-5 days... and has gone as long as a week.
    But you can try... Pear or Prune juice.. give 1 oz and see what happens
    You can give a glycerin suppository that will for sure work! When I have needed to give those I undress my baby down to the diaper and wrap him in a towel because it can get kinda messy!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my doctos told me to mix 1/2 oz of prune jucie to 1 oz of water. It worked for me real well.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 5:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Mine is too. The doctor said give him a little plain water in between feedings, but I don't do that very often. I've recently tried switching formulas but it's only been a few days so I can't tell if it's working yet.
    Anonymous

• prune juice.......
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 6:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• There are several options. Constipation in babies is a bit different then in adults. constipated babies usually have small pellet like feces that is hard. Babies can go 2or 3 days between Bowel movements.

Try a warm bath, massage their belly, bicycle their legs, 1oz Prune/Plum/Pear juice to 1oz Water up to 2x day. or add a splash to every bottle.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 7:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• BTW Apples are part of the BRAT diet to combate diarrhea so anything with apples is likely to make it worse. Friuts that begin with P help with Bowel Movements.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 7:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Are we talking not pooping or passing hard dry pellets? The latter is a problem, the former is not.

If you're seeing hard dry pellets, dump the formula and go to straight breastmilk. It's a laxative.

No Karo, please. Botulism risk.

If you're just seeing normal poops every few days, that's fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I was also gonna say karo and honey are both botulism risks. Is this a constant prob or is it new. Is it dry pellet poop or no poop? Dry pellet poop is the true deffinition of constipation in infants. If you are concerned cause baby hasnt pooped in a day or so, take babies temprature rectally! Make sure to put vasiline on the thermometer first!
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2008