what is the fastest way to dry up breast milk?

(i had to be put on medication that i cant breast feed while taking)

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• wear a tight bra and DO NOT TOUCH THEM....
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• If you want to BF, why not just pump and dump? You can keep your milk supply up and once you're off the meds you can BF again.

Or, if it's something you have to take for a long time... the only way I know to stop milk production is to stop feeding and pumping. It will be painful when it builds up, but I haven't heard of another way.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I've heard of good results with green cabbage leaves and sudafed. For me personally, it was going onto regular bc pills not the minipill. They greatly reduced my output and I was never uncomfortable when I chose to stop (baby was 15 months.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yep cabbage leaves work :) I use it every time when I am done nursing.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 12:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I dont really want to say anything becasue I dont want anyone to think I am pushing the whole BFing thing, but if its your dr saying the med is no good and you really do want to continue BFing do your self a favor and call LLL and have them check the meds safety number. They most often have more updated perscription journals and have a better understading of whats safe and what isnt.
    That being said, tight bra's,cabbage leaves,ice packs for soreness, and certain teas can all assist in drying up milk.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Ive always had to pump my milk, and it just decreased by itself over time. Like when I stopped pumping every 3 hours like 2 days later it was down big time, then like in a week it went away. I pumped only for 6 weeks tho. So just pump when it hurts, try to go as long as possible without doing it tho, then it should decrease. I hope that makes sense...
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Doctors are very conservative when it comes to breastfeeding and medicine. I highly recommend you contact a lactation consultant and check with her. LC's will be able to give you a well educated and honest answer about the meds you are taking and breastfeeding. I know it seems weird to not listen to your doctor but they aren't educated in breastfeeding. There's a book you can look in also but I can't think of the name right now.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 12:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I also agree with making sure the med is truly unsafe before proceeding. If you're sure, cold cabbage leaves in your bra can help. But, do not bind your breasts or wear a tight bra. This can lead to plugged ducts and possibly mastitis. A well fitting bra is best. On the subject of the medication, if you care to share the name of it, many of us here have the resources to look it up (I have Dr Hale's book, there are some LC's on here...) it's up to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2010