I can't deal...

I'm at home with my 2 month old all day. He's not colicky, but he cries A LOT. I thought mother's were supposed to have "intuition" but I guess I missed that gift because I have no idea what he wants. He just cries and cries and I try everything I can think of. It's driving me crazy....literally. I can't afford day care and my husband works really long hours and his schedule is different every week. I go back to work next week but only for 1 day a week since that's the only day I can get a baby sitter. I really can't handle this though. I need way more than 8 hours a week. I try to take my baby out but then he screams in public and I can't calm him down and end up just wanting to go home. It seems like only my husband can calm him down, but he's at work. I don't know what else to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know how you feel. I dont really have any good advice for you but I can relate. My baby is 3 months and I think I am starting to feel better about staying home but I still have bad days. I have always worked and gone to school so it is really hard for me to stay home everyday. Especially since we only have one car so i am pretty much stuck at home. I have found that even though I dont usually feel like cleaning or doing projects around the house, I actually feel a lot better when I am productive. I just try to think that this is a temporary time in my life and I should enjoy it as much as I can because I am sure I will miss it when she is not little anymore. Just try to enjoy your baby. Sorry I did not have better suggestions for you.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• if u are stressed he knows that and it stresses him to u have to be calm with him and dont let yourself her so worked up about it. if u need anyone to talk to just email me. One thing that u can do is let him know u are calm. then just get on the floor with him and talk or read to him. He loves u and just wants sum his mommy to love him back. Try taking him a warm bath and putting lotion on him and rocking him and kiss him and hold him thats all he wants.. Hope i can hope bye bye God bless u
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• awww...I"m sorry. That happens to me sometimes too. I think that baby's have good weeks and bad ones. It will soon pass. My son is 6 months now and he still has his good days and bad ones. Most of the time the bad ones are caused by constipation. Just hang in there. It's okay to take a break sometimes. When my son used to really cry loud, I would put him in his crib and shut the door for 30 min and take a bath. It relaxed me. Most of the time when I would get out of the bath he would be sleeping. Hang in there. Baby's are hard work!
    Anonymous

• Round up the troops!! Friends and family who are willing to come over just to take a turn walking the halls with you. If you have no help available to you then just remember when it gets to be to much just put him in his bed. If you get to overwhelmed call someone anyone to distract you. If he is going to cry either way there is no reason to get your self all worked up to. You will be no help at all to him if you are upset also. This to shall pass. I wish you the best. I'll check back here to see how you are doing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The first 3 months of my son's life was this way. He cried 8-12 hours every single day. I was a mess. I took him to the chiropractor several times (and still do), it helped a bit, then I started changing my diet (breastfeeding) and realized he had a milk allergy. I no longer eat ANY cow milk products. He still cries more than most babies at 7 1/2 months. I never wanted to take him out because it was stressful and embarassing. Now I have realized that he loves to go outside. He still is cranky, but he is just a high-needs baby. Try talking to the doctor about it, also ask for help from people. They will be willing to help if they knew how much you really need it.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 6:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• When it gets too overwhelming, put your baby down, and go outside for a couple minutes. Breathe, take a grown up time out. Your baby is going to cry, but is already crying, so take a moment for yourself. Pay attention to your own mental health too. If you are getting depressed and angry, try to consult a mental health physician. They will be able to help you. You need to be mentally and physically healthy, the happier you are, the happier your baby can be. I got the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block," and it had great ways to calm. I would swaddle my son and sit on an exercise ball and bounce him. This worked to get him to stop crying. It also gave me a little peace and quiet.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 6:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I can relate too. My daughter does have colic, but most of the time, i cant calm her down anyway. like today, im ready to just walk away. but i aways try to remember, she isnt doing this on purpose. most of the time, i feel like an awful mom. my dh works 2 jobs, we only have one car, so im home with her all day. i agree about the trying to be productive, cuz that does make me feel better, i clean w her in a sling. try to walk to the park and talk to other moms who have babies. i felt weird at first cuz mine is too young to play, but those moms welcomed me with open arms, and when she didnt stop cryin, they all tried to get her to stop. showed me how to "dance" with her and everything. also, make sure u dont have postpartum, cuz i did and once i got help, it got better. i really hope things get better, and feel free to vent to me if u need to. good luck!
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 6:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Thank you all :-) I feel better, and baby is sleeping at the moment!
    Anonymous

• If he cries alot he could be over stimulated. Settling him on a blanket on the floor or propped on a boppy pillow. or under an activity gym.. interact with him a few minutes and then leave him with a toy and move away and just watch him from a distance. Try his swing or bouncy seat... listen to soft music. wearing him in a sling... wrap him in a shirt that smells like your husband. or introduce him to a pacifier ( lowers SIDS risk when sleeping)..... Watch your husband to see what he enjoys

If your totally overwhelmed put him in a safe place and just walk away.. go to another room to calm down... If your still having trouble talk to your Dr.. Fnd a Stay at Home Parent Group... bring him and if he cries and it overwhelms you just say so. Alot of moms have been there they will help you out...
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 7:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I HAVE THIS BOOK CALLED UR BABIES FIRST YEAR..AND IN IT IT SAYS BABIES CRY FROM ANYWERE TO ONE HOUR TO FOUR HOURS A DAY AND THERES NOTHING U AN DO TO STOP IT,,IT RELIVES STRESS AND TENSION.LIGHT A CANDLE THEYLL WATCH IT BURN ALL DAY IF THEY COULD.OR WATER.ANY THING WITH WATER
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2008