How can I get my son potty trained?

My son will be 3 in July and is still not potty training. I was working full time and am now at home full time. My son wants nothing to do with his father in the bathroom, and I have gotten him to have bowels a couple times. He wants nothing to do with peeing on the potty or the potty at all. Sitting in dirty pull ups don't bother him and I don't know what else to do. I have tried different potty's, seats prizes excitement. Any idea what could help or will he just never potty train?

inimicalgoddess

Asked by inimicalgoddess at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know it sounds awful but it worked. When my stepson wouldn't pee in the potty, we let him go on a tree in the back yard where no one would see him. Once he learned that the pull ups felt much better with nothing in them he started using the potty.
    peachtree1124

Answer by peachtree1124 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• He is still young, and yes he will potty train. But you have to let him go at this at his own speed. Boys tend to be more harder to potty train, so it does take longer.

I would try:
    * Letting him pick out his own potty?
    * Get books about potty training with his favorite cartoon character (Elmo or Diego)
    * Get toilet bowl rings (The have dissoluble ones now, once you pee on them they dissolve.)

Remember to do lots of praise, even if he doesn't do anything. Have him go in with daddy all the time, even if he doesn't sit on the toilet... Have daddy help, and praise too...  But try not to push him, cause the more you push or get upset the longer it is going to take. Eventually he will come around, and have an interest. Just be consistent.

sweetpea04

Answer by sweetpea04 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• WikiAnswers - How do you potty-train a three-year-old boy
    Parenting and Children question: How do you potty-train a three-year-old boy? Potty-Training 3-year-old Boy Show him the ropes, invite other boys over and ...
    wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_potty-train_a_three-year-old_boy -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Oh one more thing. My mom used floating candles in the toilet to potty train my brother. She got a stool, and told him to pee out the flame.
    More times then not, you are going to have to get him in the act to make it click... I was getting my daughter ready for a bath and she started to pee. I just happened to get her on the toilet midstream, and then from that day on it just clicked.
    sweetpea04

Answer by sweetpea04 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Reward, reward, reward!!! With our son, he'd get interested, then stop. Then he was finally potty trained, but after sitting in LA traffic for 2+ hours one day, he regressed. Now, we are allowing him to save up "Potty Points" for things he wants. He gets 1 point for peeing, 2 for bowel movements, and 4 if he asks to go when we are out. He already saved up enough to get a real baseball mitt, and is working on more!
    DeylansMama

Answer by DeylansMama at 2:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2008