privet or public school?

my son is going to school next year and i have the choice of sending him to a privet school. my husband and i can aford it he will be starting kindergarten. its a small privet school so next year he may be the only one in his age group . we dont know yet.he will binifit greatly from the one on one aposed to 50 on one. but i worrie about him not being with other kids his own age. i really want everyones opinion. thank you so much.

vanessa487

Asked by vanessa487 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every schooling option has its pro and cons. Look them over and figure out what is the best option for you and your family. For some it's public school, for some it's private school, and for others yet it's homeschooling. What works for me and is right for my kids may not be right for your own.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• First, there is no public school with a 50:1 ratio. It is more like 20:1. I personally would check out the public schools in your area before sending your child to private school. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should. Put the money you would be paying into a savings account for his college, which won't be free. I think that the social benefit of being with children his own age will outway the benefit of have a small teacher to student ratio.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The public schools here are 35:1 ratio....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If you can afford I say yes. we plan on sending our daughter to private school
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 5:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i was raised in a private school my whole life..i DO NOT recommend it!! yes the one on one is beneficial at a younger age..but, after a couple years the novelty wears off..i HATED going to a private school with a passion!! my whole life i begged my parents to let me go to a public school..all my friends ion the nieghborhood went to a public school..kids that go to a provate school can come from all areas of the surrounding areas..and i know with me, the friends i made at school didnt really matter, because my parents werent gonna drive me 30min to an hour away just for a play date..and then my friends i had in my neighborhood that went to public schools already formed more of a close bond with one another i slowly got phased out!! it sucked!! cont...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• and when theyre in higschool..if you think its safer for kids..less drugs, sex, smoking, etc youre fooling yourself..there is waay more of that in private schools, yes theres alot more kids in public therefore TECHNICALLY theres more..but..theres TONS of it in private schools too..i finally went to a public school in gr 11 and 12..and it was 10times worse in a private school..but thats MY opinion!! use the money and save it for something else..its not worth it!!
    alexis_06

• The schools in Eufaula have a 15:1 ratio. (Don't worry, I am not a stalker, I was just curious!!!)
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Private schooling is a better choice- spell check helps when you are not sure how to properly spell.

vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• We send our daughter to a private school and the curriculum there is more advanced than the public school . I believe this is because they don't have a large number of students and can advance a little more quickly through the materials. Each parent needs to decide what the ultimate goal is in sending their kids to private or public schools. If your goal is to keep them from being exposed to drugs, sex, and other things like that then one is not better than the other. If your goal is a religion based atmosphere and learning environment then a private school might be the way to go. Also small class sizes are great if your child is struggling in a particular subject. The one on one attention can be a huge benefit.
    TheWilds

Answer by TheWilds at 9:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• In my area, I'd say private...ONLY b/c our public schools are horrible (Dayton, Oh) , not just the typical things such as sex, drugs, ect. but the actual learning/teaching is pretty poor, but I plan on moving out of this district when my DD starts school, b/c I do want her to go to public school, b/c as someone else said, the local kids will all have that bond, and your child may feel left out....So if the public schools in your area are decent, I'd go that route first...jmo.... :-)
    MyMariah

Answer by MyMariah at 12:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2008