Question about potty training - I know... boring, but I really do need your advice

He is 2 and 8 months. Started introducing the potty to him around 2. He used it as a garage for his cars for a few months, then he watched the potty training with bear video a lot, then I taught him to tell me before he has to go poo or pee. And this is where we are after 8 months: he sits on the potty for fun (by himself or at my request) with his butt naked. He can sit there for 10 minutes if he has something to play with. He never poops or pees in there. Before he has to poop, he says "oh-oh, poo-poo". Then I rush and pull his underwear off, put him on the potty and he never goes. Then he stands up after a few minutes, runs away from us and poops while running, thus making a big mess. He talks about the bear going to the potty, other kids he saw going to the potty but he won't do it. Why??????????

icanbeabitch

Asked by icanbeabitch at 12:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's probably scared.
    Have you tried a rewards chart?
    When i was toilet teaching my son i had a chart that i put a sticker on every time he went potty. At the end of each row i would give him a new toy (dollar store toy) then at the end of the chart i took him to chuck e cheese. we did this 3 times with different goals for each chart.
    GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• he is not ready yet wait till he is three. i use to put cereal in potty so he could hit them
    after he done his job he would get star or a treat .one of my sons was trained the day before he went to school the other boy was 12 before he went by himself no pro says the doc
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• He has no interest in any kind of rewards. If I don't give him something that he wants right at that moment, he does not want it anymore. So the promise of a reward will not work on him. Stickers are just pieces of paper with no value for him, he never had candy or cookies, is not a big eater either. The only thing he loves a lot are his cars, but telling him that he'll get a car after each poop is not gonna work because 1. he doesn't understand the concept of a conditional reward in the future and 2. he has plenty of cars.
    icanbeabitch

Comment by icanbeabitch (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• i son is 2 and a 1/2.. he is the same way. it takes time... i wish you all the luck!
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• you're just gonna have to wait and be patient then.
    My son didn't understand the system either. Until i followed through a few times. that's how he learned. Just keep trying and be patient.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The potty shouldn't have been used as a toy. Since he did that for a while, he's probably thinking that it is pretend. Have you tried a small potty seat to put on your commode? get a stool so he can get up there. If he sees you doing that there, maybe he will too. To get him to pee, just throw in some cheerios and make a game out of it by telling him to hit the cheerios.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You might want to start over with a new potty. I bought my son a potty when he was 18 months old. He used it as a hiding place for his puzzle pieces until I started potty training him at 2 years. He did not want to use it. I bought him a brand new potty that was only for pooing and peeing and he took to that much better. He might just think his potty is a toy..
    LovelyMother88

Answer by LovelyMother88 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Consider a different approach. I know he's older but a different method could work for you. There are other pottying methods other than this modern method. It couldn't hurt to try even though your child is older than the techniques are normally used for: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I wanted to add: take him to the bathroom with you to watch every time you go, get cotton training pants (not pullups). Try taking him to pee in the morning as soon as he wakes up when he's half asleep. He'll have a full bladder (hopefully) and be relaxed enough to let go.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2010