any home remedies for severe diaper rash

my three year old grandson isnt potty trainrd yet weve tried everything but he just isnt ready. he now has a severe diaper rash. im trying cool baths,air , and ointment. its now on his thighs. is there anything else i can do.

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 12:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if it's on his thighs, it's probably more likely the result of friction from the drooping diaper. Baby powder will help that from rubbing it raw more.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Could also be a yeast infection...if it's painful or continues to worsen I'd see a doctor. I always let my son run around naked in the sun all day and it's helped with his worst rashes.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• yes cornstarch works great
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• thanks any suggestons on how to get him potty trained. he has three potties .
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Put him in big boy undies. It will be messy at first, but wet undies are much more uncomfortable than a wet diaper. He'll catch on. GL and yes cornstarch is wonderful. The best remedy though is air. Let as much air get to the area as possible.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you are not against bribery I recommend MnM's that's what I had to do with my 3 year old. Wish I would have thought about it when I potty trained my oldest lol he was almost 4
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• For the rash maybe try oatmea bath's and for potty training a I second crazymom. When I was training DS at about 18 months I got him a little potty and an insert for the big potty. Every 20 mins I would bring him. If he went pee he got an M&M. If he went poops he got 2. After a while of doing that I would stretch it out to 25 mins, 30 mins, etc except after he ate which always styed at about 30 mins. Eventually I had stretched it out so far that he was telling me he had to go. When he was ready he even stopped sitting to pee and standing up. He was night trained before he was during the day because I always made sure he went before bed and I always made sure he didn't have anything to drink right before he was about to go to sleep. He is now 4 1/2. I hope you are able to find something to help you grandson with the rash. Having him pick out big boy underwear may really help as well. Hope that helps, have a good weekend
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If it has spread to his thighs, it sounds like a yeast infection rather than a diaper rash. It's especially likely in the heat. Is it slightly raised around the edges and red? You may want to check with his doctor to rule out anything else, but you can get cream at Wal Mart for "jock itch" or athlete's foot (caused by the same organism). At least, this is what I did rather than buying the expensive prescription cream the doctor ordered over and over. Yeast love a warm, dark, moist environment, so letting him run around for a bit without a diaper each day will really help. Good luck, I know your little guy must be miserable,
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• corn starch??
    Prayingforbaby1

Answer by Prayingforbaby1 at 3:03 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My son will be 3 next month and is the same way hes not potty ready yet and sometimes gets bad rash the best thing I have found is Johnsons medicated baby powder (new thing just recently found in local walmart it has same meds as diaper rash cream and bourdeuxs butt paste that is the ONLY thing that works for him
    XandersMomma07

Answer by XandersMomma07 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010