Do you think kids should be allowed to play two sports?

Can a kids really handle two sports in the same season--like soccer and baseball? Doesn't one sports and team get the short end of the stick, with missed games and practices? what lesson does that team a kid? I'd love to hear your thoughts ....

satellitesister

Asked by satellitesister at 5:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• For our family, it's both yes and no. I say no to playing more than one team sport, but I think it's ok to have one be a team sport and the other an individual sport. Sports like swimming or gymnastics are great filler sports, that keep your kids active during the week, so long as they aren't at the super-competitive levels yet.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 7:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It depends.... on how the schedule match up....
    I know several kids that can handle or do both, because the nights are totally different....and there is no conflict of timing etc.

However, if there is a conflict of the timing and you are required to be in 2 places at once, then I think one should be picked over the other, just because you can't be 2 places at once.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 5:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I kind of think it's overstimulating for a child to do too much at once. I know when I was little my parents had me in swimming, tennis, and piano all at the same time. I hated it! I actually ended up not doing any of them as I got older. I wish they would have just let me do one thing at a time. I totally agree with you that one sport or whatever gets the shorter end of the stick.
    dannybugg

Answer by dannybugg at 5:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Depends on the child, what they can handle. My oldest only one, my middle could do three, and youngest two. Just depends on what scheduling/juggling they can do, and what that sport means to them. I wouldn't push any child to do back to back sports, but if they want to and can give their best at both, why not.
    Team sports are TEAM sports, you need the whole team doing what they agreed to do to make it work. If someone is skipping practices, and short changing the other one, that would not be fair.
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 8:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008