Does your toddler look in your eyes when you talk?

he is 2/8 and he turns his head when I start saying something serious. I've read that they do this because looking in mommy's eyes means that they will have to do what she says. I think that's BS, so I want to know the real reason why he is looking away and smiling when I try to tell him something serious. He is looking in my eyes when we are playing, singing etc, so I know there is nothing wrong with my looks.

icanbeabitch

Asked by icanbeabitch at 12:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would agree that he doesnt want to do what you are talking about - thats what my son does. if i tell him to come here because i need to get him dressed or something - best way to not do something is to act like you didnt hear it right? little kids are funny
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• They turn their heads because eye contact can sometimes be over stimulating. It triggers a part of their brain that they don't have much control over.
    It's not a big deal if your young child doesn't look you in your eyes every time you talk.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Oh. and when he smiles (and it's probably not appropriate for him to smile at that time) just ask him how he's feeling. him smiling is his way of dissociating from how he's feeling. You want to bring him back to that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My 2 year old will look away from me if I am getting on to him a little bit. If I am really serious about what I'm saying I ask him to please look at Mommy. I just have to make sure that he heard me. I'm sure it's normal for them to do that...I don't know why he would be smiling though.
    LovelyMother88

Answer by LovelyMother88 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My 27 month old girl always looks me in the eyes unless she's done something naughty or doesn't want to do what I'm requesting. I read up on this. It means that they feel guilty or shy.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• By the way, husbands do the same thing LOL
    SweetLoveofMine

• Nope.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My son looks away if he doesn't like what I am saying, telling him to do etc.... When he does it though I tell him to look at me.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2010