Is it too early to potty train?

My son is 15 months and I have a feeling he would use the potty if I trained him too, you know? If I try, will it ruin him forever? What are some tips for potty training to keep in mind?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i bought a potty chair for my son when he was 18 months old. I had no intentions of starting at that time. I just thought i should introduce it. Get him used to the idea. comfortable.
    well, he loved it and was entirely toilet learned by 27 months. He is not almost 5 and we've only had a handful of accidents.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Well If you feel he is ready then go ahead and try. My son just turned 2. I put the potty out and he went right to it. He is now the Potty King, lol. I thought my son was ready at 18 months but he wasn't. He knew what I wanted him to do but he just wasn't interested. Something that you might want to keep in mind is they don't usually develop the muscles that help control that area until around 18months-2yrs.
    LovelyMother88

Answer by LovelyMother88 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Wait until he is showing signs. It can't hrt to try this early, but don't be disapointed if he doesn't want to. Potty-training takes awhile no matter what age they start. On the other hand, don't wait until his third bday and think because he's older he'll learn it in a snap or train himself. Kids DO NOT potty-train themselves. You have to guide them.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It's not at all too early. The usa pottys children exceptionally late. Go for it! But you may want to use a much different approach than modern potty methods. Read this: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby

I've pottied my baby since birth and we've been out of diapers 100% for a month and she's 10 months old now. We have accidents, yes. but 90% of the time pottying is successful.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2010