So does this time out thing really work?

My parents raised me back when a switch or belt across the legs was not considered anything more than discipline; I raised my DD to be (1) talked to first, (2) a soft "canvas cloth belt" across the leg which hurt her feelings more than it hurt her physically, and (3) grounding by taking away her favorite toy or whatever for a week or two. Now all I hear about is time out and just don't see how that works. Share your thoughts, pros and cons.

SouthernLady7

Asked by SouthernLady7 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes, it does and you have to do it right. Best bet is to buy the 1,2,3, magic dvd or google and see if you can see some of it online. It shows you how to remain calm and once the kids know it you can show them one finger in a store and they will stop. But always be prepared for that time that they don't stop and take them home if you have to, no empty threats.
    earlybird99

Answer by earlybird99 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Like the mom above me said, yes but you have to do it right. I only use it if I am very serious about the offense. I will take him to his time out chair, sit him down, and explain in a stern voice why he is there and why I don't want him doing whatever it is he did. After a few minutes i go get him. I repeat my reason for why he had to sit out and then we kiss and hug. Works for mine every time. I do understand that some kids just don't respond to it well though. I guess it just depends on the kid.
    LovelyMother88

Answer by LovelyMother88 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Time outs work better with my challenging child then spankings do (as i learned from trial and error). My other son is easy peasy and time outs work for him too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Kids are all teens now so taking away a privilege is what works currently. However, they have learned because they are now babysitting and when they have issues with their nephews they take a privilege away and tell them that the need a time out from what ever it is they are doing! It is so cute to hear them talk about this. Thankfully their aunt and uncle do support this.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My daughter's therapist , when I asked this question after not seeing the behaviors decrease with time-out use with my Asperger's kid, and having her timed-out during almost every dinner, said this: "At least the rest of the family gets a break while she's upstairs."

So true! So true! (and time-out DID decrease her meltdowns from an average of five a day to one or two! I just wanted them to go away altogether!) We did a 15 min. time out, with 15 min. added if she had a fit about going to time out (this is a ten year old I'm talking about).
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 1:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010