Age differance between kids...

is there anyone who has opinions on having kids with only 12-18 months appart? what are pros and cons? my first two are 2 and a half years apart. we only want one more so I wanted to just do it and be done so i can work on getting my body back and be able to be done. any thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should re-think your reasons for having children.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• mine are 16 months apart, right now 18 months and 9 weeks. pros- they grow up together and although they may fight at first, but be great friends in the long run. you know you're having another one early, so you can save the toys for the next one and save money. you teach your older one how to throw away diapers. lol. it's really not that bad. as long as one is walking, so you don't have to carry both. The key is to put them on the SAME schedule, so your day goes smoothly.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• cons- it can get a little crazy when you do errands. it takes some time, but you eventually get used to it. we got a double stroller for those places that have alot of walking (aka the zoo) and for those places that don't have toys in the waiting room, so you don't chase the oldest one around. figuring out how to get them in the car was a toughie too. but i've just begun strapping the LO in the carseat after i have everything i need to take, leave her right at the door, inside, strap in the oldest, run and get the LO, lock the door, get her in the car, and get in. as for while i'm out, i get the oldest in first, while i have the LO next to me, or i'll have the oldest walk from one side (van) to his carseat and click her in then run to the other side and strap him in. thank God i have 2 sliding doors! i don't normally do that unless i'm in a rut because he likes to get into things and grab things on the way to his carseat...
    armywife43

• I am the one who wrote this question and maybe you misunderstood. I want another one for a lot of reasons but the fact that we could do it now and be able to enjoy eachother as a family and know we are done would be great. And to get my body back and feel better rather then be back to my old body to have another and go through it again. It is hard for me to loose weight.
    Anonymous

• my first two are 17 months apart to the day they are now 27months and 9 months. and i am6 month pregnant so that will make them 12 months apart if i make it to her birthday.

The pros are that they grow up together and they learn together and they play together. they are interested in the same things at the same time.

The cons are that its alot of work. You have to balance yourself between them much more then if they were a couple yrs apart. My daughter is still going to need me to feed her and change her and carry her around when her sister gets here. She doesn't even want to start to crawl yet.

Yes its nice because they are going to be so close in age and they will grow up together. But it is very hard and stressful. Good Luck
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 6:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• First thing: Don't worry about your old body. Just worry about having a healthy one. Most of the changes of pregnancy won't go away.

Next: honestly, the ages don't matter. The personalities and how you raise them do. I've known sibs a decade apart who are closer than those close in age.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• when I got pregnant with my second child, my daughter was 16 months. I was offended by mydoctor when she said I had "poorly spaces pregnancies". I'm no doctor, so maybe its not good from a medical perspective but I look at having children as a family decision, not a medical one. Have your kids when you feel you are ready. It doesn't matter what others think because you will be raising that child. But IMO, I think it'll be easier in the long run. You can buy less toys, clothes, go to the same school at the same time, etc. But I might be bias cause my kids are 2 years apart =P good luck!!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My kids are spaced out 3 or more years apart. But, I would guess it would get very expensive and time consumming with 2 in diapers at the same time.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 10:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• NO please don't do it. I have boys 13 months apart and I really feel it shortchanges both of the children. The youngest one can't get the attention he deserves as a newborn and the oldest doesn't understand and gets very jealous even under the best of circumstances. I'm not sure how this turns out as they get older since mine are only 1 and 2 but it's been the hardest year of my life and I can't imagine anyone CHOOSING to do this to themselves or their children. I think this is one of those times that even though it may be (is some few ways) easier for you to get it overwith, it makes it much harder on you in the long run and it's definately NOT good for either of the children involved.
    sixzilliondots

Answer by sixzilliondots at 9:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2008