Has anyone heard of, or tried the HCG protocol diet?

My brother in law just started this 3 weeks ago and has already lost 27 pounds by injecting HCG, which apparently makes his body think he is pregnant, along with eating a 500 calorie per day diet. Nothing I have found has me convinced that the HCG is helping him at all with this weight loss. I really think the cut to 500 calories per day is the only contributing factor. What's your view? Is this from personal experience?

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• my mom did this and lost 30 lbs, it is a 3 week, 30lb program. She didn't inject though, she did HCG oral drops
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• We are unsure if the HCG helped or not as well. My mom has said that she might try the same diet minus the drops, but I'm aslo thinking I'll do the same diet, minus the drops as well. But My sons only 8mos and I plan to BF for a while so I won't try it until I stop BF, wish I could though just to see, those drops are pretty expensive, I bet the injections are too
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If he's only eating 500 calories a day, that's why he's losing weight. I did the Physicians Weight Loss Center diet & I started out at 500 calories, then progressed to 700 & then stayed at 900 for the duration if the program. I lost a lot of weight quickly. 13 the first week & about 5 every week after. I've heard conflicting things about the HCG diet, but I haven't really researched it enough to have a strong opinion on it.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• 500 calories is what they consider "extremely low calorie diet" and that is definitely going to cause weight loss, although it is pretty extreme and probably not something someone should do for more than a couple of weeks. I don't know much about HCG, but I would be concerned about using hormones to help weight loss- hormones have all kids of crazy effects. I found this interesting article about the HCG diet (there is not a lot of information out there from anyone who does NOT sell it). http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/07/hcg-diet-look-elsewhere-for-weight-loss/
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• the hcg is supposed to reset the hypothalamus gland... according to the protocol.

we had this awesome dr at a weightloss center that combined the shots with a diet plan where we would average 1200 calories.
    my husband lost 75 lbs in 2 months and has kept 65 lbs off for a year, even after returning to his old eating habits.

i on the other hand lost 30 lbs and gained 20 lbs back.
    i kept with the diet, but quit the shots and used that to lose 80 lbs.
    not as quick, but i can maintain pretty well.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 9:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i done this diet for about two or 3 months..it was pretty expensive and i can tell you it does work but here is the problem..you will get sick and tired of eating bland plain jane food..it made me so miserable i couldnt stand myself so i quit its not easy after spending all that money believe me but it works bc you are starving!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I think for the time being I am going to try just a low carb diet and see how that works out. Not really a diet, just trying to change my eating habits.
    jdrae13

Comment by jdrae13 (original poster) at 5:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think you should read "Pounds and Inches" by Dr. Simeons. People don't understand this diet and type out false info to other people. It is difficult, but it works. If you did a 500 calorie diet without the shots, it wouldnt work the same way. The HCG hormone is the one during pregnancy that keeps your baby getting nutrients even if you have horrinle morning sickness and throw everything up. It takes from your fat stores (deposits). There's more to it then "oh you starve yourself so of course you lose weight". It resets your Hypothalamus. You don't just eat 500 calories (VLCD) and take Hcg forever. You move onto the next phase after either 20 or 40 days. In that phase you stop the HCG and eat whatever you want except sugars and startches. You up your caloric intake to around 1500. You slowly introduce new foods to see what makes you gain. That's why it's important to weigh yourself every day. Theres way more, but no more room
    iloveashton804

Answer by iloveashton804 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2010