Was labor worse or better than expected?

The first time? second time? Third time? Fourth? Fifth? After fifth?!

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 1:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• It was much longer than I expected (41 hours the first time and 36 the second time), but not nearly as painful as I expected. The second did hurt worse than the first, but it still wasn't that horrible.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I only have one child and laber was not excruciating as people said. I also had an epidural though. But still I felt pain and it was bad, but I would have my daughter again if I had a choice.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I had a natural one with no pain medication and a c-section with an epidural and the natural birth was far better. The c-section took an emotional toll on me and physical too
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• First one I think it was harder than I expected... but I also didn't expect to be hooked up to moniters for most of the labor, which made it sooo much worse to not be able to get into the positions I needed and felt comfortable in. Second time it was soooo much easier than i expected, but I also had teh freedom to birth how I needed to. Both time I did not recieved any pain meds.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• worse, I waited 12 hrs in the hospital before taking meds, lol meds wore off because It only lasted so long so, yeah and I had to have 2 episiotomies , the first one didn't help
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My labor lasted 38 1/2 hours and I had an epidural because of something about my heart rate. I remember them talking to my Mom as I fell asleep. And I awoke five hours later to deliver my daughter. So out of 38 1/2 hours I got five hours rest. I was very thankful for that rest!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Less. I was in labor from start to finish 11 hours. I went all natural, no pain meds. Heck...I thought the kidney stone I had years before was worse.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The first was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It lasted about 4 hours and I had her completely natural. The second was worse than the first at 5.5 hours and more painful but still went natural.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• 1st child was induced with 20 some hours of labor 3 of those hours involved pushing and I wound up having him by c-section. That one was worse than I expected. Definitely worse!

2nd child was early, intentionally 2 1/2 weeks early! If she had it her way she would have been even earlier but I was put on bed rest. At 2 1/2 weeks my doctor said go home and clean the house, I will see you back this evening and sure enough I was at the hospital that evening. Only 12 hours of labor to which at 11 hours I finally complained of pain and received one shot. I then complained that the shot was not doing anything and next thing I knew I was pushing for a 1/2 an hour and there she was. The greatest feeling in the world to be able to be the first to hold her. Definitely better than I expected!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• The first for me was worse than I expected. Much, much worse. A lot of things went wrong and it was scarey. Among other problems, the epidural didn't work, I pushed for a long time, the Dr didn't think the baby would make it, the cord was around the baby's neck, and my tailbone broke. I was in a lot of pain from the tailbone and I had a stupid nurse that was trying to convince everyone that I wasn't in any pain at all, but that I was just depressed. Well wouldn't you be if you were in a lot of pain?

My 2nd one was a lot better than I expected and it was a planned c-section. I loved the experience! Everything was planned, calm, and peaceful. I was super scared going into it because of all the bad experiences I had read about from other moms. I healed faster than the 1st one and was able to BF much sooner too. I know my experiences are not the "norm" though.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:21 AM on Jul. 31, 2010