anyone refuse the phenylketonuria (PKU) test done on their newborns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I did not refuse, but then again I don't ever remember them asking me? Of course that was a very long time ago.....:)
    dolphinkisses

Answer by dolphinkisses at 5:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• OMG no! It's just a prick and it can help find so many life threatening things and other things! It is so worth it IMO!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 2:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Why would anyone want to refuse it? I think the benefits of knowing are HUGE vs the small prick on the foot to get the blood sample.  The test is for metabolic problems that if you have a positive test you want immediate intervention.... some of the problems can lead to brain damage or even death if not treated...

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I don't ever remember anyone asking me if I wanted it or not but why wouldn't you do it. We have a girl in my school that is PKU and can only eat fruits and vegetables and abit of other things monitored at home by her mom and if she eats anything that she's not supposed to her mind doesn't work like it should & she could die from certain things too.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• no, it's a simple test
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I did have the PKU test done on my son. I refused the Vitamin K, the erythromycin (eye goop) and Hep B vax. I didn't see the harm in doing the PKU test, though.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• No. i refused the Hep B but don't see the harm in doing the PKU test. It is so simple and can tell you so much. They can actually test the cord blood now for PKU but still prefer to do the heel stick.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2010