This is America speak English,this is America I'll speak whatever i want

Ugh!!!! I'm so annoyedddddddd

So I went out for ice cream with my son today, and we were speaking Portuguese(I'm Brazilian)
When out of nowhere comes this old fart and says "when are you people going to stop speaking Spanish
And learn to speak English?". So I looked at him and said "when are you people going to learn
To mind your business? He was surprised and just left...probably because he didn't think I spoke
English lol but seriously what the hell...? When people speak French or Italian, its 'beautiful' and
Distinguished but when I speak Spanish or Portuguese I need to speak English because this is
America...give me a freakin break

my_monkey_baby

Asked by my_monkey_baby at 2:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. The nerve of some people. I can't believe someone did that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Some people are like that. But I grew up in California where Spanish is spoken by people who aren't even of any hispanic descent. It's learned in schools.
    Plus as people get older they are afraid of change. It's no excuse, but when he grew up English was probably the main langauge he ever heard.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• :( that sucks! I live in So. Ca, and its actually kind of nice to be around other people speaking so many different languages (usually spanish, mandarin (sp?) etc.) I think its great to know different languages... i wish I knew another language besides English.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Now that I think of it most of my friends were middle eastern so they spoke farsi, so I never really heard too much spanish. That was in Southern California.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Aww. That is terrible. Some of the things people say other people say to them is UNREAL. I don't experience this verbal/mouth diarrehea - but that is intense.
    People are so ignorant.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• How rude!! some older people need to wake the hell up and realize its 2010!!!! I work as a manager in a retail store and boy do i get some nasty comments from old people and I dont even speak spanish! I am Native Amerian
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 2:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• In a way I kind of felt bad later because maybe I shouldn't have responded the way I did, but he made me mad
    Lol but then again a lot of people are acting kind of funny with the whole sb 1070 thing going on
    (I live in AZ) so that may have played a part too...but seriously, if he was going to say
    Something like that, he should have expected a lot worse lol...I just wanted to say something because
    I don't want you ladies thinking I'm a mean witch :)
    my_monkey_baby

Comment by my_monkey_baby (original poster) at 3:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• how ignorant and narrow minded!!!!!! it's so awful to know that some people act like that!!

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 3:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Good for you! That old fart probably forgot where his ancesters came from. Plus, didn't America fight a war of independence against England? Why do we want to keep that language so much. I don't get it.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• That's screwed up. When I use to cashier, I got people who were all different. I got deaf, Mexicans, even a mentally challenged kid, who couldn't speak. I learned to adapt to each sit. One time I even got a lady from Germany. You have to be able to read people if you can do that you can communicate with out speaking the same way. If it is a private convo. then you definitely have no reason to open your damn trap. I'm so sorry that guy was a dick to you. Hope you have a better night.,
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2010