My 16 yr old dtr has had side effects from 3 different types of bc pills

Yaz, Reg Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Tri-Cyclen Lo. Bad headaches, nausea, and inability to wear her contacts. I was thinking about a IUD, but just read a post you can't get one under the age of 19? Is that correct? Does anyone have any other suggestions in a pill that worked for their teen? I don't trust them to use condoms and spermcide at this age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• No, they will not let her get an IUD. If they do then they should be closed down. An IUD should only be used for monogamous partners. Also, an IUD is really only recommended for someone who already has children and not wanting anymore or just has decided not to have any to start with. An IUD can cause uterine scarring which will make getting pregnant almost impossible.

Also, at her age she is still growing therefore, she would have to be fitted often to make sure it is in place, you are required to see your GYN once a month to check placement. Anyway, not a good idea and her GYN should totally be against it for her age and lifestyle.

Best wishes.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• How about the depo shot?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Some people just don't tolerate birth control well. I am one of those people. I actually got pregnant while on ortho tri cyclin(spelling??) because I was throwing up so much. It sucks. If she doesn't have kids, she can't get an IUD. It isn't really an age thing, I'm sure it has more to do with the cervix. Try the ring. I'm on it, and it's been working well for me, I haven't been sick once sense I started it about two months ago. I get a few headaches, but they are easily relieved with acetaminophen.
    Anonymous

• DONT GET HER THE DEPO SHOT!!!

That shot is bad and will most likely cause her some issues! You really need to have a sit-down talk with her about this. Birth control is not always safe and as she already knows can have some serious side effects.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Even though a girl uses birth control it doesn't protect against STD's many of which cause infertility later on. The reality choosing how many children you want and counting on conceiving when you want to is a complete falsehood. Look at the high rate of infertility treatments now.. Ask her if she is willing to trade sexual activity now for children later on..
    MyHomeCottage

Answer by MyHomeCottage at 12:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I would take her to a crisis pregnancy center that teaches teens how and why to abstain. Sixteen is so young to be messing with all the hormone junk---she can have some serious problems later in her life. Read the fine print--it happens. If you can't trust her to use barrier methods--she obviously is way to young to even be having sex. I would tell her that too. It blows my mind why some adutls think it is ok for kids to be having sex and yet these same kids can't even take responsibilty for their own health! I would strongly remind her that she doesn't need a child and a child deserves more than an unwed 16 year old who can't even take responsibilty for herself as a mother. The ability doesn't mean the right. I also find it totally illogical the parents that take the responsibilty for their daughter or sons sexual behavior--if they are going to act like adutls, treat them so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree DON'T GET THE DEPO...That crap will mess her up worse than all three of those other BC's she's tried combined. I hate bc...I do au natural calandar method...Have you tried the patch?My friend liked it.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 3:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• If she is having such a bad reaction to hormonal BC maybe get some spermicide, female condoms and male condoms and make them use all three in one session or either practice abstaining from sex....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Here is a good one for her to use-----DON'T HAVE SEX!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• How about the ring she is supposed to change it one a month, it really is not that hard, very easy and very safe....
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2008