has anyone tried atkins diet?

Hi, i had my first baby 6 months ago and am trying to lose some weight, mostly the belly. i have started with atkins diet on monday and today is my day 5. so far so good, but am constantly hungry and icant sleep at night since am soo hungry. does anyone have any suggestion as what i cam eat for dinner that will sustain the hunger? is oatmeal okay when on atkins?

ashley387

Asked by ashley387 at 3:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I've never been on Atkins, but I shed 50 lbs by doing low carb within 4 months. I lost all the baby weight plus 15 extra lbs! When I was done I weighed 112. I only ate carbs ONCE a day. Always at breakfast I would eat just oatmeal, with Splenda, no sugar and with cinnamon. I had an apple with thisand loads of water. You need half the amount you weigh now in water ounces. If you weight right now 150, then you should drink 75 ounces of water a day. Keep taking a prenatal vitamin. Then lunch I had salad and a piece of fruit and dinner I had 3 small portions of vegetables usually with low fat cheese. Makes sure you aren't adding salt or sugar to anything. Salt Is SO BAD for weight loss. The hunger pains will go away soon. Don't eat over 1,000 calories a day. If you're breastfeeding you can add a bit more. Like 300-500. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Noooooooo its not go very good right ups check it out. Also he is dead now so that doesnt say much for the diet if you ask me.
    It takes time to lose weight after a baby. If you are breastfeeding you will also store some fat for that so try be patient. Go for walks or start swimming if you can,, eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg. Cut out anything fatty like crisps, choc etc.
    Venetia.

Answer by Venetia. at 4:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My uncle & aunt did the Atkins diet for a few months. He died of a massive coronary & she's had NUMEROUS medical problems related to blood chemistry & her digestive system. I'm not pointing fingers at the diet, but it's sure a suspicious coincidence.

I went with the South Beach plan, which is low carb (lean meats, TONS of veggies, low carb dairy) for the first 2 weeks, then gradually add healthy carbs (fruit, whole grains, cooked dry beans & lentils) back to your diet. The idea is to wean your body from the high carb addiction most Americans have (lots of sugar, refined flour, white rice, etc.). You eat 3 meals & 3 snacks a day & I sure didn't feel hungry.

I'd say to add some fiber to your diet to help you with feeling full & if you're hungry, EAT. Eat celery with cream cheese, cottage cheese with a bit of fruit, hard boiled egg, salad with plenty of veggies & 2 oz. cheese, sugar free jello/pudding. Drink plenty of water.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Diets and diet aids (if they even work) are temporary fixes; some are actually dangerous. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 1:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010