Is this a beacon to extremists?

(CNN) -- In protest of what it calls a religion "of the devil," a nondenominational church in Gainesville, Florida, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Dove World Outreach Center says it is hosting the event to remember 9/11 victims and take a stand against Islam. With promotions on its website and Facebook page, it invites Christians to burn the Muslim holy book at the church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

"We believe that Islam is of the devil, that it's causing billions of people to go to hell, it is a deceptive religion, it is a violent religion and that is proven many, many times," Pastor Terry Jones told CNN's Rick Sanchez earlier this week.

How is this not terroristic behavior and how is it not encouraging other extremists?
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/29/florida.burn.quran.day/index.html?iref=NS1

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• WHOA! Seriously? How inconsiderate, ignorant and inappropriate! This should be stopped!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 3:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Yeah it's sick and twisted. It is going to reopen a lot of problems and probably not just with the one group. If I were in Florida I would be protesting the shit out of this stupid childish act.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I saw this on the news this morning and I am sickened my it. I AM a Christian but this is crazy. There always has to be some crazies in a bunch!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• ***I suppose I should have said Muslims have burned Bibles recently...
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I love it when the more extreme Christian groups/congregations seem to forget all the people killed and wars fought in the name of the Christian God. Crusades anyone? But can you imagine the uproar if people burned the Bible citing the exact same reasons? And if you aren't Christian and don't believe their teachings why could the same not be said about Christianity?

Anyway, it does seem to be a very provocative act, probably done as much for the shock value as any other reason. Just wait for the shock and surprise they proclaim when Muslims protest this - not to mention the "I told you so" if some Muslim extremist organisation does become violent.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think it is asking for the whack jobs to surface. IT's also in very poor taste and inappropriate for a church to be doing
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Muslims have burned Bibles and the Christians didn't rise up to slaughter them. The Crusades began after the Muslims took over Jerusalem. I would have found it odd if the Christians hadn't tried to regain one of their holiest places.

Beyone this, I find it horrible. I would never condone the desecration of any groups religious book. I believe there are a lot of problems within the Islamic faith, but burning the Quran is not going to help.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It's certainly a stupid thing to do, and it will piss of Muslims and especially the radical ones.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Oh good, now some some Muslim version of some of the haters on this forum can post you tube videos proving that Christians are devil worshipers---just look at them, burning the word of God. The Christians doing this are extremists. Burning things is a violent, aggressive thing to do. And burning a book that one quarter of of the population of the earth...almost 2 BILLION people, believe is the word of God is going to piss them off. Islamic extremists can use it as yet another tool. These people should be ashamed. THEY are not following their own religion...they are making it up as they go along.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Seems like becoming what you despise in others.

The devil, violence, hate, extremism.....check!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2010