So why is my four week old throwing up after everying feeding?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 3:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my DD spit up a lot in the beginning. My milk was coming out really fast. But she wasn't vomiting, just spit up (except a few times it came out of her nose). I talked to her Dr & he said she'd outgrow it. She's what they call a "happy spitter". gaining weight, growing, and not in pain when she spits up. I would burp her in the middle of a feeding and try to have her upright for 30 mins after eating. She's now 3.5 months old and has gotten so much better. Her Dr also told me it would get better when her body matured more & he seems to be correct.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Is she eating too fast? One of my babies would gulp fast and he would he get air trapped in his tummy. He would eat so fast that he would empty both breasts in 10 minutes. He was so cute making little grunting noises like little piggy. lol
    Anyway... After the first two minutes I would unlatch him and sit him up and burp him. Then after he would burp I would put him back to the breast. He would finish on that side and I would burp him again before switching him to the other side. Then I would let him nurse as long as he wanted and make sure to burp when he was finished. But he needed to get that air out before he got too much milk in.
    The air under the milk would make him barf a huge amount before I started interrupting his feeding to burp him.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• She might be getting to much to quickly.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My daughter had this same problem. The doctor said I had an over active milk supply, or too much milk. The milk would seriously go flying across the room the second I took off my bra. the baby couldnt keep up with it when she drank so she would gulp and in turn eat too much too fast and throw up. try pumping before you feed if this seems to be your problem. dont give up either!

josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• What are you feeding her?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• breast milk
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 3:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• it could be what your eating?
    nessac1987

Answer by nessac1987 at 3:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Thank you beautee. I will try that.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 4:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• There is a big difference between throwing up and spitting up. If it is projectile, that may be a sign of a problem

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my little one did this at that age. she had acid reflux. we had her on zantac for a couple months then we were able to ween her off. check with her pediatrician
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 31, 2010