Anyone else been in this situation with a job? (slight rant lol)

Apparently I am no longer employed because I gave my two weeks notice. I was trying to find a more accommodating (since I'm going back to college) or at least slightly better paying job (preferably with benefits) and had put an application in at a call center. So, I did what I've always thought you're supposed to do if you think you will be leaving your current employer: put my notice in. The next day, I was completely removed from the schedule. Everyone has told me that my boss (who has mysteriously never been present when I've stopped by to talk to her) said that I wouldn't have worked those two weeks anyway, even though I discussed this with her months ago. Apparently they wanted rid of me since I didn't take crap from people who tried to start rumors and gossip and I was always honest and upfront. I guess that's a bad thing when you work somewhere with maximum jr. high drama all the time, though.

Anyone else been here?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Legally if you gave your two weeks notice the employee should have work for you for two weeks. They screwed you. I would file a complaint to the Labor board & Better Business Bureau. Mention to them what they did. You have a right to be heard. A right to work for those two weeks. (It sure makes you not wnat to give a two weeks notice! ) I would never give an employer a two week notice if it was nasty to me . I would just leave if I found a better job! If you make a complaint to the Better Business Bueau that will be seen by potential customers and employees, and they may lose business over it. I sure would not patronize a place that was dishonest and cruel to any employee. Should you have to get unemployment if you dont get a job. Tell them you were harassed on the job and get two witness. They have to investigate and if you ahev to sue the former employee for those two weeks. You have rights!
    emmidr

Answer by emmidr at 4:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• It is very common for employers to tell employees to not return after they have given notice.

Best of luck with the new job and school!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't have put in a two weeks notice before I was offered a new job. Sorry you are going through this though.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 4:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You do know that you will not be eligible for unemployment compensation if you do not get the new job, right?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• For future reference never mention your looking for a job or that you plan to leave in 2 weeks. What you do is after the new employer extends offer of employment you let them know you would like to give 2 weeks notice. They may say they need you in a week or that 2 weeks is fine. After your definitely going to get the job then put in your 2 weeks notice or 1 if that is what the new employer wants. Many stop scheduling or terminate right away because many times employees stop caring when they know they are leaving. So some don't want to waste the time. Good luck with your job search.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 10:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Wow that is screwed up. I am sorry about that. I am a manager and I have had plenty of people come and give there two weeks in the years that i have been a manager and yes some have worked there two weeks and some haven't most have and yes that is the right thing to do but some people just don't know how to be a good manager. If there is someone high up then her that you can go to about this that would be a good idea. You did the right thing momma so just cont on with what you have got to do to make you and your familys life better. GL to you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I was "offered" my last 2 weeks off with pay once because I knew more about their computer system than they did and they were worried about a potential lawsuit (from me) due to another employee. In other words, they bought me off in exchange for me not having the opportunity to hose up their network. In that situation, though, I don't think they would've dared tried to kick me without pay for those last 2 weeks - I had no intention of suing, but they didn't know that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Wow. You are better off without that job!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I've never heard of putting in your notice if you might be leaving only if you were leaving. I hope that you find something else quickly and in the future you might want to not put in your notice till you know 100% that you are leaving.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• At a local call center for a nationally known wireless carrier, the minute you even THINK about putting in a notice, they walk you out the door and slander you once you're gone. My dad worked for them for 10 years, and when they denied his short-term disability (Dr ordered due to several heart attacks in a week's time due to the work environment) he decided to leave. He knew what they would do, so he sent out a mass e-mail to the co-workers that would miss him, explaining that no matter what the big bosses say, this is the reason he was leaving and he would miss everyone. Then he had to give a presentation, at the end of his presentation he said "Oh, and one final thing. I will miss all of you, but I won't miss ***(company). I can find my own way to the door." Sure enough, ***company was spreading awful rumors about why he had been "terminated". I hate that company.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2010