Question for all faiths...

What if we are all wrong and spent eons fighting over who is right? Is that not a wasted life in dispute of the unknown? No one knows for sure what is right, just what they feel is right. That is why it is called faith. So why fight, why try and convert, and why not meet people who could be great because of a difference in belief? That to me is more of a wasted life then my possibility in being wrong.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 3:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I couldn't agree more! I totally believe that the only thing standing in the way of world peace is groups of people being so stubborn and closed-minded about the possibility that they are not 100% right, or that there could possibly be more than one truth or even many truths. What's worse is that most people who are intollerant or the most vocal are just spouting off things they've read or have been told and they are incapable of explaining why they believe what they've just said or maybe they're just incapable of having an original thought. If people just learned to respect others regardless of their religious beliefs we'd all be a whole lot better off!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Without religion, there is still fighting for dominance. Religion is just the vehicle. It could just as easily be over whose oxen have grazing rights on a patch of grass or who "deserves" the bigger home. If everyone on the planet became a Unitarian tomorrow, they'd just start fighting over whether their toast should be butter side up or butter side down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My answer is the same as it is on any Pascal's Wager based question. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I think the character of a person and how they treat others is more important than whatever lip service is being paid to whomever. We don't find out for sure until we die so it doesn't really matter if we're wrong or right. Just live life the best way you know how and make wise and prudent decisions and it'll all be fine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I'd rather be wrong :) and poof into nothingness than burn in Hell but that's not why I have my faith. I'm not going to fight either. I'm not going to convert either but that won't stop me from sharing :) and I agree with NotPanicking :o)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 4:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My religion doesn't evangelize. I don't both to worry about being right or wrong though. Either it'll be revealed when I pass on, or nothing will happen and I will still have lived what seems to me a full life. Hell, maybe we're all right but in different ways. Maybe we all get to choose.
    Then again, maybe the giant spaghetti monster will be wrathful and punish all non-believers!
    fmchavez

Answer by fmchavez at 4:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I think faith is a great thing to have, on an individual level. I think the fighting is ridiculous, and I think the people who live to fight are the ones with a wasted life. No matter the outcome. Be happy and content w/ your own beliefs and leave everyone else the hell alone!! If they are meant to "see the light" they will, without all the pushy "help". I kinda agree w/ the above poster. I think we all actually believe in the same power and/or energy we just choose to SEE it differently from one person to the next. Perception and interpretation vary greatly from person to person, so really... what the hell is the point in trying to get others to see it your way? They may get close, but likely it will never be the same anyways. Live and let live. Answers will be given upon death. Live a good life up till that point, and you should reap great rewards :) no matter which "religion" you follow.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 4:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• EXACTLY !!!!!

Have you ever read Jodi Picoult's Change of Heart ??? I just finished reading it and there is a lot of philosophies spread through that book on religion, all generally pointed in the same direction as you are talking, about being open to different beliefs, religion being individualized and even religion created through one's own beliefs....I found it all very thought provoking ! I loved it !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• all the fighting comes from the human desire to be correct, and in control. if someone is so extreme in their beliefs, you can't change them, nor should you try. wouldn't that be the same ill-fated, disgusting 'i'm better than you' behavior, trying endlessly to tell them they are wrong for their beliefs, that you accuse them of in their trying to convert you?
    someone always has to be the top-dog, to be heard over others, to get their message across..it will never end, until The End. religion has nothing to do with human nature, yet it has everything to do with human nature.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• With or without religion or faith to argue over, people would still find reasons to fight. They always have. That said, I tend to agree with you, which is why I "preach" tolerance so heavily... It's why I push for better religious education... It's why I am who I am... I feel that the religious organizations themselves push hate, intolerance and fear... They teach based on propaganda and with the attitude of "We are the one and only." It's because of this that I believe we each have the responsibility to our selves, to our faith and to the world around us to take it upon ourselves and educate ourselves about the truth behind other beliefs and learn to correct the falsities which are spewed through the media & popular religion. I think too though, it's up to us to learn to tolerant even those who don't educate themselves & understand that is their choice & ignore the negativity that comes with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• yeah..^i tend to agree, somewhat. but then, i find myself agreeing with you more often than one would think. :)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2010