Thumb sucking

We have always thrown our babies pacifiers away by 6 mos old. Our twins however started sucking their thumbs right after we did that. I wish now that I wouldn't have let it continue b/c now they are turning 3 and still sucking away. I can't throw their thumbs away =) lol what can I do to get them to stop?

mommyof5boys543

Asked by mommyof5boys543 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sister sucked her thumb until she was 10 my mom tried so many things like painting her nails and putting that nasty thumb stuff on her hands but she still did it. Try to stop them before they ruin their teeth! See if the thumb stuff works for your twins. They sell it at wal-greens. It's called Thumb lol.
    moniluvsmarcus

Answer by moniluvsmarcus at 6:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Hate to tell you....but they've got to do it themselves. I was a thumb sucker (my husband as well). Weboth sucked out thumbs untill we got braces. My mom would put bandaids, hotsauce, lemon juice, nailpolish remover, bitter bite (NASTY!!!!!), nothing worked! she even put socks over my hands! Truth is.....I didn't even realise I was doing it. My dentist put a "bar" over the roof of my mouth that made it VERY uncomfortable to suck my thumb. Within 3 days I was broke.
    momma-still

Answer by momma-still at 8:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son stopped on his own before he turned 5, as do 90% of thumbsuckers. We just told him that he couldn't suck his thumb in public because of germs and we consistantly but politely told him to get him thumb out of his mouth. It wasn't too much longer before he stopped all together.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Both my husband and I were thumb suckers and niether of us had to have braces. They won't ruin their baby teeth by sucking their thumb. They will stop when they want to. Maybe next time you won't throw away the pacifiers when they are so little, at 6 mo babies still like to suck to sooth themselves, and since you took away their pacifiers, they found their thumbs.
    Anonymous

• First of all, you should have not thrown away your children's pacifiers at six months year of age. They were not yet mature enough to let go of that device in the first place. Second of all, thumbsucking is practically normal up until four or five years of age. Do not worry. Your children will eventually grow out of it. Third, if you are very concerned about your children's behaviors, I highly suggest you visit this website called Nogginpower2. One thing I discovered on Nogginpower2 is that they provide a great deal of information on DIscipline, Better Social SKills, Making New Friends and Getting a Good night Sleep. These packets on Nogginpower2 should assist you in determining some of the actions you should take, in terms of your children sucking their thumbs. I hope this helps you with your current situation. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2008