Is a mile too far to walk when your 38 weeks pregnant?

I cant sleep so I wanted to go for a walk to see my brother who is about a mile away, but my boyfriend wont let me, he says it's too far for me to walk right now and it will probably make me have the baby lol.. I think it's silly really, I walked there once a week until about a month ago (just because it's so hot out).. What do you ladies think? Is that too far?

Giinx

Asked by Giinx at 4:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I walked to and from work up until 3 days i had my DD i also worked on my feet for 8-11 hours a day. Up until 3 days I had her. Walking is the best thing you can do for your labor and going to your brothers is not gonna put you labor but keeping yourself active and taking walks everyday or a few times a day till you go in to have the baby is great. Go for a walk and bring water with you and if you have to stop and take a break here and there then do it.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• As long as you feel fit and healthy and your bp is fine then I dont see why not? People go jogging all the way through there pregnancies.... not me yikes lol.. xx
    Venetia.

Answer by Venetia. at 4:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• thx ladies!
    Giinx

Comment by Giinx (original poster) at 4:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If walking made women go in labor then women that wanted to go in labor would just go out for a walk instead of getting induced!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• As long as you bring water with you, and have a cell phone in case of emergency, it sounds like a great idea!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I honestly do not think it's too much! I bought a belly brace from Babys R Us, and I still try to walk a mile each night if it's not too hot out. I'll be 38 weeks in 3 days. :) Keep on going girl!
    Graicysmom10

Answer by Graicysmom10 at 6:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I walked a lot too, but I guess it depends on how you feel and how the pregnancy is progressing.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 6:57 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My doctor said it was very good exercise to walk, helps decrease your chance of having a hard labor if you do it regularly.Walking works all the muscles you will use in labor. As long as you keep yourself hydrated and dont overdoit. My last 4 weeks I was walking 4 miles 4 times a week. I think it helped me because it was my first pregnancy and I was dilated 5 cm at my 39 week checkup and had my baby 5 days early. Had a really easy labor and delivery even though my son was 8.5 which is a litlle big for a first baby.
    I have seen women jogging with the belly straps on, that is way more energy than I had!! :)
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I walked about 3 miles a day in the florida heat when pregant. Like they have said. Put on your tennis shoes, grab your full charged phone and a bottle of water. You can fill one half full put it in the freezer the night before and add water. It will stay cold all the way to your brothers house... oh and call him to let him know you are leaving. That way if you aren't there in a timely manner he can walk towards your home to check on you. Go for it... the more you do and the better shape you are in it helps when you do have the baby.
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 8:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• That is not too far to walk but I think he doesn't want you to because it is really hot outside
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2010