Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Am I the only one is this world who thinks.......

Ok so my two kids are 11 and 10. Their dad has only paid a total of 1900 hundred dollars since I left in 2001, has only seen them twice in the last three years. He now is trying to take me to court for full custody. He is a paranoid skitso (dont know how to spell it :) I have unwilling agreed to visitation. My lawyer said that since he has not paid child support and is over 40,000 in arrears, that it is only fair that he pay for the transportion til he starts paying child support. However, he is now telling me that he refuses to drive them to me, 7 hrs away to bring them home, because his sister came and picked them up. I cant get ahold of my lawyer and I am STRESSING out. they are not due to come back for another week, but I have no way of going and getting them if he don't bring them back. Help what should I do????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (11)
  • Imo, if he doesn't return your children and you can't get ahold of your lawyer, call the police.

    Good luck!

    Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 5:13 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • If he violates the agreement, calling the police is within your rights.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • rent a car and go get them

    Answer by tomib at 6:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • Get on a bus and go pick them up.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • i agree, do anything you can to go get them, then get back into court and tell them he's had nothing to do with the children for so long and it's just not fair this re-integration, and he's not healthy......don't agree to visitation.....i had a lawyer that convinced me to agree...she said if i didn't, he'd get even more than he's asking i agreed, and then i got a backbone and went back and said "Hey I agreed to this under duress and I know it's not right !" took me two years in court, and a social worker, but the visitations stopped altogether and he was told if he wanted visits, they would have to be supervised AND he'd have a whole bunch of other obligations to fulfill ! sometimes i think judges are more human than the lawyers !

    Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • I agree with all the pp's!!!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • You do what you have to do to get them. Ask a friend, call the police, whatever it takes.

    Answer by lilsma at 7:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • He will have as many rights as you allow him to.. unless he's really abusive or acting like the KING, I mean they are entitled to see him. IS HE ABUSIVE??? WHY......are you 7 hrs. away. And if this is so, how can you wonder about this through state lines. (Just doesn't seem relevant.) Does this not seeing them only influence him?? Is his past coherent to this time now with why you want to cut off entirely. Can't he be disallowed due to the distance alone and this ride exchange, that alone would have me upset, the danger of a 7 hour ride. It's a bit much to be putting a child through with this exchange, I'd go to court to say that you were in such deep struggle emotionally with single parenthood that it wasn't a good decision time. {duress, as you said} Make it really clear that you are the parent involved , and he's not.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 7:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • if it's something to do with the southern states, or non- commonwealth, that could be a reason why he has some populous feelings. he's secure for the reason of they're his, but because he pulled some things over you a long time ago. he may think you are just letting things slide and he'll weasel his life back to them.
    Yes he's dad, {bio} but he wasn't present or part of for too long. I just can't get used to any child being exchanged that far. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 7:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • What is the reason he didn't see his kids that long? Maybe he is making up for lost time. If the kids don't have school then why not let them spend more time with there dad? There getting older and if you go to court aren't the kids capable of making there own desicion where to live? ( i was adopted at 13 and got to decided where I wanted to live) If he is abusive in anyway or has cause or put them in harm then go get them. Ask a friend, neighbor, rent a car, bus something... But if he hasn't then he does have a right to see his children as you have the right to have them in your home. As for back child support take him to court and let them know he hasn't paid, but way did you wait so long to take him? I am sure the courts will ask that and for proof that it wan't paid..

    Answer by Claudiomom at 10:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.