I need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing.

My family is considered way low income. My husband was laid off a year ago and we have little money. I am applying to law schools next month though using mostly fee waivers that I got approved for. I am having problems convincing myself to take an LSAT class. I took the LSATs once before and scored lower than I wanted, and want to retake it to score something higher. I worry it was due to my lack of time due to school, work, and being a mom. I recently got extra hours at work which will put me at 40 hours a week for a month or more, and am thinking about dropping $300 on an LSAT class in hopes of scoring something high enough to get scholarships later. I feel like this is a good move, but am plagued by the idea it takes from my DD. I need to know I am doing the right thing, and that this class is really worth it in the long run. The classes have a 6 pt increase on average, which could be 10k or more in scholarships. :\

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 6:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Only you can make that decision for you and your family.

Answer by louise2 at 6:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree that this is a very personal decision. It sounds like it is worth the money, and it sounds as though you think it would benefit your family in the long run. If that's the case, and you feel the future benefits outweigh the short-term sacrifice, then you are absolutely doing the right thing!
    montessori_mama

Answer by montessori_mama at 6:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• all i can say is, if you can do it, and not be afraid to sacrifice in the here and the now, don't let go of your dreams....show your DD how to go after your dream, but still keeping her number 1.......you'll do it ! best of luck in all your endeavours !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I agree with FXmomTo3.
    Good luck!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• 300 now, or 10k later in fees and/or debt...sounds like it would be better to do the class. But, as the others said, only you really know your situation. If your family can sacrifice the 300 now, but still have food and pay rent etc., then it may be worth it now, so you can save more in the future. Good luck!

LovePeaceHope

Answer by LovePeaceHope at 7:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Go For it !! You never know what will come if you pass up the oppertunity!!
    The best way to teach your children is by example !!
    Good Luck
    N
    Be Blessed
    Mrae

Answer by Mrae at 8:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I would take a class. If you want to score higher, that's the best way to improve. It's hard to study on your own, and they'll give you tips to help your score, good luck!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You should definitely take a prep class; at the minimum, see what resources are available at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you can still feed and provide for your child, do it! You getting scholarships and your degree will improve your life dramatically in the long run. Sometimes we have to sacrifice right now to better our futures. It will build character for your DD. Good luck!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• You are doing what you need to do for your family. If it takes $300 to make a better life down the road then that's a pretty good trade off, IMO. You can muddle through for a few months, years, whatever it takes. Your daughter will remember that mom had the guts to go to law school to make her life better! Good Luck!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2010