kids and nutrition

ok im overweight myself, but im pregnant, and after plan to shed a few to be healthier, well my dd eats healthy and so do we no junk food/soda lost 30lbs before i got pregnant this time, and it bugs me so much when i see overweight friends of mine letting their small children always eat bad ,chips,soda(in sippi) and nothing healthy, don't they want better for them ? I want to get in shape and don't want my children to be overweight due to me putting that type of food in front of them, i know its hard as a kid having weight, and i want to do all i can to make my family healthier, idk why but it makes me mad when i see my friends that are overweight giving their children this stuff 24/7.. makes me mad and sad for the kids :( is that weird?

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 8:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Its not weird but really there is very little you can do about it. Take care of your kids and if youre really good friends with someone, mention about the soda but remember that its not your child. Personally, we dont do sugar or soda or anything like that either. The sitter gave our son cookies and that was the last time she watched him.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• ya i know nothing i can do or say.. just a lil thing i cant seem to understand.. why they dont want better/healthier.. its like u know it was hard to be overweight why promote it :(
    oppsdiditagain

Comment by oppsdiditagain (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• No, your thinking is not weird. Parents who allow their kids to eat nothing but processed junk are doing them a great disservice.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Let's face it, we all like junk food because it is something we crave. But of course, in moderation is the best way to tackle the junk food thinking. Cutting anything out totally makes you want it more.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• oh ya moderation, i mean my daughter has a happy meal in a great blue moon, but i mean processed and soda in a sippi for a 13 month old daily.. saddens me :(
    oppsdiditagain

Comment by oppsdiditagain (original poster) at 9:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Honestly, I would keep my small children away from those who think that eating junk is normal.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• rkoloms- ive been best friends with her for 24 yrs since 1st grade.. .i wont end a friendship of decades over it.. but just frustrates me
    oppsdiditagain

Comment by oppsdiditagain (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Most parents that do this are lazy and give the kids what is easiest to feed them because it keeps the child happy/content and they don't have to do much to keep them that way. It is also often cheaper to feed junk food when you don't want to invest the time or energy in finding & preparing healthier foods. Maybe your friend just needs some help on figuring out how to eat healthier while staying in her budget?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I can tell my best friend anything. You need to tell her that her views on nutrition concern you. You are worried about her long term health, and the healh of her children; until she cleans out her pantry, your daughter will not be going to her home, and her children are always welcome in yours.

Get her a copy of Food, Inc. or The Omnivore's Dilemma

Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If you have know her for so long, it shouldn't be a problem for you to say " Why do you give her soda so often? do you know what it does to teeth?" If she had half a brain she wouldnt' logically be able to defend giving a kid soda in a sippy. Water is free, and what should be in a sippy....not soda. Yes that would realy bug me!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2010